Immobiliser

Does the immobiliser have some sort of impact on fuel? I seem to be able to un-immobilise the car so that it will turn over and there’s a good spark - but there doesn’t seem to be any fuel getting through - despite hearing it prime when the ignition is switched on…

That�s strange!
Are you sure the fuel pump is not working when you are cranking the engine? I mean, are you sure no fuel is coming through the injectors?

Not 100% certain but there is no smell of unburnt fuel and the plugs are dry.

I don�t really think it could be the immobiliser, as the pump primes and there is a spark from the plugs.
It also can�t be the inertia switch or the circuit breaker, for the same reason.
It might be a fault inside the MFRU. If you are close to Huddersfield, you are welcome to borrow mine (if they are the same of course).
By the way, what happened since the last time the engine worked properly?
I know it will sound stupid, but you have fuel in the tank, don�t you?

Try to test if any fuel goes through or not, by unplugging the fuel hose from the rail and inserting it in a bottle. Then crank the engine a few times. But, before you do so, depressurise the system by removing the circuit breaker and cranking the engine for a while. This way you can be sure if the pump works and sends any fuel or not. Be careful while playing around with these things, i.e. don�t smoke or barbeque at the same time!

Had this exact problem, turned out to be a dud Trottle Position Sensor (TPS, which sits more or less under the mesh area of the rear hatch and can therefore get unhappily wet.

If the engine is started with the trottle at 100% the ECU goes into what is known as ‘spark-plug cleaning mode’ and doesn’t inject fuel.

It wasn’t an expensive fix but a bugger to identify.

See here (bottom of page)

Ian

George, fuel is ok, plenty of that…

I drove the car home from Lincoln to Essex on Sunday and it was running very nicely indeed - just parked on my drive since then…

Does anyone have a picture of the TPS? Also, is it something you can source from somewhere like Halfrauds?

Something else that could possibly point to this is that every now and then on cold start up the engine will just decide to rev itself to about 2,500 rpm for a while before dropping back - entirely random.

That�s good news. So it is not the MFRU either.
Check the TPS like IDG recommended.
ElisePards sell this for �58.69, and it is located at the left hand side of the throttle bodies.
http://www.eliseparts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86&products_id=486
But you can also find it in almost any scrap yard as it�s the same in all K-series engines (AFAIK).
I think I have a spare one which you are welcome to borrow and try if you want.
It might be a good idea to take off the plug and clean the contacts in both the connector and the sensor. You never know! It might be a good idea to clean the contacts of all the sensors-connectors in the engine bay at the same time.

Sounds like I should try the TPS first then - if all K-series are the same, I can nick the one off my Sport 160…

Does anyone have a picture of the TPS? Also, is it something you can source from somewhere like Halfrauds?

[image]http://www.eliseparts.com/shop/images/large/throttle-pot_LRG.jpg[/image]

Sounds like I should try the TPS first then - if all K-series are the same, I can nick the one off my Sport 160…

You most certainly can, as that what Lakeside did for mine to prove it was that before ordering a new one. They ordered the whole plastic throttle off an Elise and just took the TPS of it. May have come to less than just the Eliseparts one.

Ian

[image]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d121/stevegreen101/ThrottlePositionSensor.jpg[/image]

Thanks for that - this is easy to get to on an Elise but a complete bstard on the Exige - more or less everything seems to be in the way!

How annoying is this…

I more or less gave up yesterday - I checked the connections to the TPS and they seemed ok. There was so much in the way of taking the TPS off that I decided to leave it to today. So, at 5pm yesterday the car would still not start.

But…this morning I tried again, just in case, and the bloody thing started immediately!

I hate intermittent faults!

Have you cleaned the connections? It might have been just a bad contact somewhere.
Glad it works now.

But the thing is - when I had done all my connection and fuse cleaning yesterday - it still didn’t work. But a night’s rest and it’s fine…

Fanny things happen with these cars! Let�s hope it will never do it again.

But…this morning I tried again, just in case, and the bloody thing started immediately!

I hate intermittent faults!

EXACTLY what happened to me. I then drove all the way to Wales filled up pre-trackday…wouldn’t start. 4 hours later, when the AA couldn’t work it out, I was rescued by AndyD, mikelane and the Edwards. And it started later.

Ian