Ice Karting

The Slovak winter has finally started with -14C and some snow. I thought it was time to move my focus from motorsport to skiing but my colleagues had other ideas. When they asked if I wanted to go karting last night I was thinking they meant indoor!

Spill 7000 litres of water on the local outdoor kart track, remove the slicks and fit studs on the front and wets on the back. I can only describe the handling as impossible. If you think an Exige is bad in the snow then try one of these!

I thought the guys were a bit light weight as they only wanted to do 10 minute sessions then have a break. After 3 laps I understood why as I lost all feeling in my hands and almost froze solid in the seat.

Heres some footage, it’s a bit dark…and so was the track!

I think I will stick to the skiing…

Now that looks like fun Wes!!!

You can see why the guys who grow up driving on this stuff end up being good all-rounders.

yeah that looks great fun, and can see how that’d hone skills.

Anglesey in the snow?

We’ve done getting to Anglesey in the snow. 48s with slush up the middle of the road in the dark was more tense than entertaining.

Really want to do that, everything in slow motion really.

think it was my second trackday, it hailed about an hour in, onto a dry circuit, it was like driving on marbles, very odd indeed.

Trying to keep up with Ian was just plain frightening at times :astonished:

Looks like loads of fun for sure, starting getting the hang of it toward the end of the video carrying loads more speed!!

While watching the video I kept moving my head down to see further ahead, if you go again point the cam up a little more to avoid confusing my simple mind :slight_smile:

You’ve rumbled my video skills :slight_smile: That was the first attempt with my Xmas pressie, a GoPro. Can’t wait to try it in the Lotus.

I need to get the wifi working to preview the image on the iPhone, annoyingly you need IOS 8. On the iPhone to load the GoPro app and I don’t have enough free space to load it.

Then again I could just ask my mate to see if the cameras pointing in the right direction :slight_smile:

Tried this at Action Park, Ivalo, Finland a couple of years ago when I couldnt justify the cost of ice driving.
All I can say, it is one of the best things I have ever done on four wheels.
Never pointing in the same direction, and great to demonstrate your car control :crazy:
Unfortunately I think it closed down
I need to find another venue one day

Android and gopro app works ace Wes …
much easier to use the camera with the app

I did it France, I was crap :thumbup: