I know, I know ...

I know this question will have been asked before but I cant find any quick info regarding this in the search …

Would you go for (from plansmotosport.com)-
Ohlins 46mm “Plans” Suspension Upgrade
or
Nitron NTR Track ?

Is there a difference in quality or in track performance ? I dont really want to fiddle with them at each circuit but I do want the car to roll less in the bends, and I dont mind spending the extra if they are worth it.

Also, do these parts make a difference (sorry for the lack of understanding, an explanation how would be great) ?

Nylatron bushes
Motorsport Anti-Roll Bar

Thanks for any help given.

Cheers.

PS Anyone thinking of putting Toyo T1Rs on their car for track use, dont they are sh?t.

Do they make a difference?

For most people…errr no, but it gives them something to fiddle with at a circuit, and spend their money on instead of golf clubs.

or
Nitron NTR Track ?

Ohlins - but not from any direct experience of either but rather the reputation of Ohlins in the motorcycle world and the slightly negative postings regarding the Nitrons, re-build frequencies being rather short and they appear to have a habit of the adjustment seizing - albeit that may be more down to lack of use by the owners!

I dont really want to fiddle with them at each circuit

not sure why you want extremely adjustable suspension then other than money burning a hole in your pocket

Nylatron bushes

just a material with less give than standard bushes but more than rose joints. Perhaps an over-simplification but more give = smoother ride and less transmission of noise/vibration with the downside being that the suspension is actually moving out of its ideal fixed geometry.

If considering going down the nylatron you really should search SELOC for postings on fitting issues. I don’t believe its a consideration with Lotus owners but Nylatron should last longer than standard bushes - a consideration in 4x4 owners swapping standard bushes out as they can wear quickly especially when suspension is being flexed to its maximum off-road. I believe that there are also poly(urathane) bushes available as well which are a step down from the nylon ones.

Motorsport Anti-Roll Bar

just means its stiffer than the standard one - you really need to know absolute values to compare different bars as different diameters and material compositions are used.

or
Nitron NTR Track ?

Ohlins - but not from any direct experience of either but rather the reputation of Ohlins in the motorcycle world and the slightly negative postings regarding the Nitrons, re-build frequencies being rather short and they appear to have a habit of the adjustment seizing - albeit that may be more down to lack of use by the owners!

not sure why you want extremely adjustable suspension then other than money burning a hole in your pocket

[color:“red”] Are they not better quality as well, or are you paying for the adjustability (is that a word) ?
[/color]

Nylatron bushes

just a material with less give than standard bushes but more than rose joints. Perhaps an over-simplification but more give = smoother ride and less transmission of noise/vibration with the downside being that the suspension is actually moving out of its ideal fixed geometry.

If considering going down the nylatron you really should search SELOC for postings on fitting issues. I don’t believe its a consideration with Lotus owners but Nylatron should last longer than standard bushes - a consideration in 4x4 owners swapping standard bushes out as they can wear quickly especially when suspension is being flexed to its maximum off-road. I believe that there are also poly(urathane) bushes available as well which are a step down from the nylon ones.

Motorsport Anti-Roll Bar

just means its stiffer than the standard one - you really need to know absolute values to compare different bars as different diameters and material compositions are used.

[color:“red”]Thanks for your help guys !! [/color]

[color:“red”] Are they not better quality as well, or are you paying for the adjustability (is that a word) ?
[/color]

the individual components may be of more exotic materials, the design may be more refined and the tolerances tighter but think more in terms of fit for purpose - an analogy being a throughbred stallion pulling a rag and bone cart. Will it make Steptoe’s job easier/better?

point taken (I think). I will use the saved cash on tyres …

cheers steve.

analogy was in no way meant to be personal - just think that for anyone with adjustable dampers you would only get real benefit after tinkering with them; and for some people the tinkering is actually part of the attraction.

if you’re going on track the difference made by adjustable suspension can be astounding and transform the car and the day…ask Henry Exige 77.

other wise I wouldn’t bother.

Next year my car will only be used on track, so over the winter period I am trying to get the beast as sorted as possible for track work. I cant bring myself to take out the perfectly good VHPD (if it aint broke - yet), so the engine is staying for the time being. I think I am going to go for the Ohlins after Steves comments.

Regarding the engine, I was talking to Turbo Technics today and they are considering starting the supercharger kit again for the K series. I know PegBox likes his car, does anyone else have this conversion/upgrade ?

Ta.

I cant bring myself to take out the perfectly good VHPD (if it aint broke - yet), so the engine is staying for the time being.

In the same camp as you there.

I think I am going to go for the Ohlins after Steves comments.

Get plenty of other opinions first but if you do get the Ohlins can I have a passenger ride

Regarding the engine, I was talking to Turbo Technics today and they are considering starting the supercharger kit again for the K series. I know PegBox likes his car, does anyone else have this conversion/upgrade ?

Talk with Mr Admin - he had the first Exige conversion of the 260 kit. To be honest, I didn’t know that they had stopped doing the kit - other than by lack of demand.

No problem with the passenger ride, elvington next year ok for you ?

I did say I dont want a time bomb from them, after a short dsicussion we agreed that a ‘safe’ (engine wise) 230hp would be a big enough step at the moment. They are going to contact me back next week, I can update on here if you like. Hopefully it should be significantly cheaper than a transplant job and its something my dad can do over winter … should be fun.

No problem with the passenger ride, elvington next year ok for you ?

not been for a while - so would be good to get back there

Keep us posted on the engine - are you getting it as a kit then?

Thats the plan. A friend of the family spanners for Stirling Moss and I am hoping to talk him and my dad into having a go at doing it. It will be fun seeing the results either way.

but I do want the car to roll less in the bends,

Not sure dampers are the best way to achieve this, if its gonna be a track car why not go to stiffer springs?

Stiffer springs are definitely the way to go, and matched with a good set of adjustable shocks as mentioned above will give you a great track and fast road set up…uprated springs have transformed the track manners on my car…

I am on the original suspension … I fancy some new units to hopefully make the car even better on track. What springs do you guys run or would you run for a track only car ?

I run 375 (front) and 400 (rear), or something close to that, the std Nitron Exige springs. They’re fine for driving on motorways, B road bumps are more challenging as it becomes dangerous as the wheels can leave the ground; not good for grip.

I know one owner who has 500/600 springs on his trackday car(although I think it’s still road registered ).

Ian

I know one owner who has 500/600 srpings on his trackday (although I think it’s still road registered ).
Ian

I hope he has a good dentist

Tim

Bear in mind that Honda or Audi converted cars need stronger springs in the back to compensate fo rthe heavier engine.

In my car (K series) I have 425#F and 500#R and they are about the hardest I would use for road and track. Actually, I would prefer 400 and 475, but these are great on track.

Some cars with std Nitron rates (325 & 400) I’ve been in feel harsher (jarring) than mine, but that’s due to the damping set too hard for the use.

On road start from the softest seting and work your ay around.

I have nitrons with 375F/400R springs and damping 8F/10R clicks from soft.This is great at Cadwell/Oulton because you can use the kerbs without the car bouncing sideways.I think a lot of people go too hard with springs and damping and have problems as a result.