Honda vented oil from the cam cover breather pipe

My car has vented oil from the cam cover breather pipe, any ideas and what this could be and what to look for?

Usually caused by too high crank case pressure due to too much oil in the engine or worn piston rings.

How do you know ? do you have a catch tank or is the breather to atmosphere ?

breathet comes out via a pipe to a small filter, them to atmos and its lost oil over the inner arch.

this sounds expensive :frowning:

You could do with getting a catch tank so you know exactly how much oil is being lost, you might find it is very little but just sprayed over a large area.
I use to have a tuned KTM four stroke that rev’ed past 14000rpm and it occasionally lost oil through it’s breather but there was no measurable loss in the engine.
If it keeps doing it and you are losing reasonable amounts of oil have the engine compression tested, very simple test most friendly garages will do it for you, this will cheak if the rings are passing.
Mike

Not usual to see visibile oil rather than just vapour there?

Its happened to cars with a piston detted to death but you should be able to pick that up.

To rule that out a compression test and check your fueling maybe?

What map are you running?

it could be a shagged piston/ring. The car was mapped by Sincs not too long a go and this was its first hard use since it was done.

Where are you based. We have a bore scope and compression tester you could borrow if you want to have a look and put your mind at rest.

Sean thats a very kind offer, the car is at work ( RAF Odiham after the track day) So probably a bit far.

I fear the worst though, do you chaps do work on honda cars?

Yeah no problems, we look after quite a few. From Steve Taylors GT Cup class winning SC’d S1 to various peoples road cars off here. If we can help out, let us know.

Sean…

piston it was

Ouch !

Is that caused by bad mapping ?

looks painfully expensive, was it a standard engine?

Aye standard engine, and mapping looks like the cause. It wasn’t the cheapest to fix but i ended up refreshing loads of suff whilst I was at it.

Car been running better than ever for a while now, just got the pics back from my old lump and though peeps might like to see it.

Did sincs help you out with the costs then ? Not trying to start a bitchfight, just interested if the mapping caused the issue then surely they have some responsibility?

Didn’t really drive the car much after it was mapped, just a few hundred miles easy pootle. It dies on its first trackday after mapping some time after.

Sincs is now no more, they have shut up shop and re opened as Essex Autosport. and the mapper no longer works for them.

You never really have any comeback on mapping anyway.

Wow…you’d think they’d stick by their work though. No matter who they were employing for mapping it’s their work at the end of the day.

Hey hum, onwards and upwards.

As you know mate, if it were me I’d have the discussion with them. Not at least for them to not make the same mistake again.

holy shit, i’d have been on the phone too!

[quote=Middo]piston it was

[/quote]

i take it thats number 1 piston

[quote=pearman00][quote=Middo]piston it was

[/quote]

i take it thats number 1 piston [/quote]

Looks fine to me !!!
:wink: