Honda shshshshhshshsh gearbox

Heya

Maybe it’s me being paranoid but my gearbox sounds like its got louder.

I assumed it was a clutch release bearing until I jammed my brain into first gear, and its noisy with the clutch up, winding down as I dip it, so finger points to input shaft bearing?

I get a slight whine in 4th, but it shifts sweetly enough and stays in gear fine. Am I being paranoid or is it a known thing?

T

broke my 4th gear at my victory at Lotuscupeurope at redBull circuit. No noise before - just one big bang and all the teeth were gone :frowning:
Luckily it was 3 laps to the checkered flag and my 6th gear lasted till the end.
Bad Luck when its a JDM gearbox - then its expensive :frowning:

what oil are you using? The oil in honda boxes gets very hot.

not 100% sure, so it could be just low.

Will get it changed anyway I think.

what gearbox oil does everyone use in the K20?

I use this in mine…

Cool, how much does it swallow?

Depends if you has oben Diff or use a 1,5 LSD!
I use a Cusco 1,5 LSD with Castrol SAF XJ
Box goes up to 110� C

nah open diff, so 1.5L is fine.

Going to use Motul Gear 300

Ok, well that job stinks.

Paltry 1.2-3 L came out of it, rest seems to be on the casing and rear tray. Seems the input shaft seal is lunched. Thought I’d fill it anyway so I can get it to track club for a proper look over, swallowed 2L of fluid and even then didn’t dribble out of the filler hole.

Suppose question now is if I get the clutch done while the box is out. Hmm.

If the input shaft seal in lunched, you may find your clutch is contaminated anyway. :frowning:

yeah quite probably, will know more once the box is off.

If the box is coming off then a fresh clutch is a no brainer

Well 2.1-2L of Motul Gear 300 and it’s not grumbly, still can hear it’s in motion but sounds much happier.

Downside, I only fetched 1.3L out of the catch tray/bottle. Obviously there was still probably a healthy coating in the catch tray there is no doubt it was down on fluid. Scuffers suggested to check the shaft seals, clean n dry. I’ll just have to keep an eye on it.

Turns out it was just a leaking bung round the front of the box, guys at Track-Group found it.