Hole in Exige S muffler

I just took delivery of a new 2007 Exige S, and when I removed the diffuser, I found a hole in the bottom of the muffler the size of a spot weld. When starting the car, it truly leaked exhaust. Some one said it was for condensation, but I think it is a defect. I saw on another thread here an Exige S muffler that did not have the hole, but had a spot weld where mine leaks. Does anyone know what the truth is? Would Lotus really put a small hole in the muffler for condensation? Thanks, Pete

I just took delivery of a new 2007 Exige S, and when I removed the diffuser, I found a hole in the bottom of the muffler the size of a spot weld. When starting the car, it truly leaked exhaust. Some one said it was for condensation, but I think it is a defect. I saw on another thread here an Exige S muffler that did not have the hole, but had a spot weld where mine leaks. Does anyone know what the truth is? Would Lotus really put a small hole in the muffler for condensation? Thanks, Pete

Perhaps it’s to reduce emissions from the tailpipe

My 2 cents says it’s a defect

Regards
Rob

I know most motorcycle exhausts have a hole in the silencer (muffler) in order to allow water to escape, so its not out of the question that the Exige silencer should’nt have.

Potential warranty claims aside, you could take it to any muffler shop and have them MIG it closed for about what a cup of coffee costs these days.

Potential warranty claims aside, you could take it to any muffler shop and have them MIG it closed for about what a cup of coffee costs these days.

True, I could even mig it myself, but I wonder if one of the baffles inside might have come loose and have a rattle. I am not sure what noises the supercharger make and what might be coming from the muffler! I would just like to know if the hole is intentional or not. Thanks