High beam driving lights

Don’t know why they’re called driving lights (as people very seldom drive with them), but it’s the ones within the grill area.

As some of you know, I have been doing things to my car, I’ve also dismantled the front for a nice fresh front respray and checking things out inside.
Took off the driving lights brackets to clean the rust and paint them, but… forgot to take a pic of the way the lights are orientated!

So, my question: which is their orientation relative to the connector in the back?
I mean, when installed, the 90 deg plug behind points down? up? left? right?
That should give me the correct beam to start with (then I still have to adjust them.

Cheers!

I took mine out to save weight and add airflow, so I can’t remember - sorry

Well, nobody’s coming with the answer, but at least they pressed on the pool’s buttons…

If i vote “what a plonker” would you know it was me ?

\

Of course!

Not that it matters, I voted myself the same!

Well I’m glad someone else voted “Wot R U talking about? who am I? what am I doing here?”

I’m not alone

Yet alone… So very very alone…

I read an article a while back about Mark Waldron sticking his carbon-bodied 300bhp turbo hillclimb Elise in the wind tunnel at Mira. One of the things they discovered was that the radiator opening at the front was too big, and this caused a lot of turbulence in the radiator duct, and actually reduced the flow. This is why a lot of racers have the edges of the opening blanked off with tape where the driving lamps normally go. Presumably this is also why there is a big plastic surround around the driving lamps.
I would suggest you might want to blank off the ends a bit.

I read an article a while back about Mark Waldron sticking his carbon-bodied 300bhp turbo hillclimb Elise in the wind tunnel at Mira. One of the things they discovered was that the radiator opening at the front was too big, and this caused a lot of turbulence in the radiator duct, and actually reduced the flow. This is why a lot of racers have the edges of the opening blanked off with tape where the driving lamps normally go. Presumably this is also why there is a big plastic surround around the driving lamps.
I would suggest you might want to blank off the ends a bit.

I was thinking of taking some of the airflow and routing it to the front disks, rather than opening up the low pressure fake vents…

That’s an interesting idea, but it would mean cutting more holes into your crash structure. Is this a good idea with all that power?

I would just use the vents that were put there for that very purpose.

Those fake brake vents are not low pressure, don’t know where you get that from.
All racecars have them around that area.
The whole front of the car is high pressure, and yes, the highest is at the very centre.
But you areleady are diverting dome of that high pressure to the Rad via the two openings.

And Brendan, the hillclimb Elise didn’t have those openings, as only the MS Elise, 340R and the Exige have the oil cooler.

I’d say don’t screw around that area, also for the reason mentioned by Brendan: strength.
If ever there was a free lunch it’s those available scoops.
And remember the closed bell and shielding.

Okey Dokey

Someone said that the airflow there is sideways, and as a result the airflow is poor - my mistake then…

Drill in hand soon !!

…And Brendan, the hillclimb Elise didn’t have those openings, as only the MS Elise, 340R and the Exige have the oil cooler.

Did I say anything about those openings?

I didn’t mention the oil cooler, I was just talking about the flow into main rad.

No, I mean that the test you mention takes into account a normal crash structure without the holes.
Having the holes in our car means that the rad is already receiving less flow, because some is diverted to the oil cooler though those holes, meaning that the Exige shouldn’t have any problem with turbulent or inadequate flow…

Ding! Penny drops. Good point, Uldis.

Uldis, with regard to your original question, I’ve just had a look at mine, and both plugs are on the right of the lamps as you look at them.

Thanks Dave!

There you go, I knew someone would know here.