Hi & Piston wear Question!

First post on here, so first up�hello!
I�ve come here �cos the technical advice looks second to none, though I know that there�s a lot of the same posters on here and on the British cars BBS.

I�m re-building a VHPD which was down on power to go in my Elise S1, piston wear around the gudgeon pin is suspected,

1. when the pistons are out is this going to be easy for me to verify?
  2. Are the con-rods likely to be re-useable (hopefully it�s the piston itself that wears)
  3. What are the benefits re: fixed/floating g-pins in new pistons.(which bit floats?)

Thanks for listening!

Joff

Can’t see why wear around the gudgeon pin would cost you much power. It would sound horrendous though…!

To be honest, if the pin has worn you might be able to rescue it by getting the rods machined to accept a bush and get new pins pressed into the pistons…

Dave Andrews (www.dvapower.com) has done this before.

Cheers

I wasn’t too sure how much power i could lose through worn pistons, I drove the car it was last in a couple of weeks before it’s head gasket went, and it ran allright then, though it was supposedly down on power, since then I’ve got the head off, and bar a bit of coke it all looks pretty good.

I was tempted to just do the head gasket and bung it in, but I’d be gutted to go that trouble and find it’s got knackered pistons.

we’ll have to see!

Ta
Joff

Are you the Joff who works for Pipercross?
John

Nope…Not I.

though I’ve an old pipercross foam filter somewhere if you’re buying!

Joff
(the one that works for BAE Systems)

Joff

Not at Warton are you?

Joff

Not at Warton are you?

Brough more like if it is Joff from near Hull or is there another?

Bryn’s right, Brough’s my BAE site…not all mine you understand…just 1 desk of it and a lab…but you get my drift.
Joff