Hi from new owner & Q re h.light cover edging tape

Hi everybody,

I’ve just completed my first week of S1 ownership, and so far I’m over the moon with my new steed (no surprise to any of you I suspect!) The car is the Chrome Orange example that previously belonged to Exiges.com member Mark Barrett, and I understand he bought it from another former regular around here, so I guess some of you might know this particular car and have seen it out sprinting in Mark’s capable hands.

After a only few days of ownership I’ve come up against the first minor problem, and I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction… Having got the car fairly well coated in salt over the weekend, I decided to let the local valet service give it an exterior clean this morning, under strict instructions to be extra-gentle with the sponge. They did a fine job of the cleaning, but unfortunately part of the edging tape for the offside headlight cover has come away. I’ve found plenty of info on here about the double-sided tape that attached the cover to the front clam, but nothing at all about the edging tape. I’m hoping that it isn’t gonna be a case of “it only comes pre-fitted to the cover”. Looking at it, it appears to be some kind of thin metalised vinyl or PVC material, possibly die-cut to the appropriate oval shape. Any ideas?

TIA

-= mike =-

I hate to say it, but I don’t think you can buy the tape. Mine is looking a bit tatty in one place and I was thinking about removing all of the tape, masking up the covers and spraying the edge with matt black paint to give the same effect.

Hopefully someone on here will correct me and tell you where you can buy the tape.

Welcome to the mad house!!!

Sean…

Welcome Mike!

And welcome to your first Exige type issue. I’ve not heard of that before. Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Ian

I’ve not heard of that before

didn’t even know any was there…I’m going to have to go out to the garage and check now!

Hmm, I feared this might be the case! Sean, I did think of trying the idea of masking and painting but I suspect it would be hard to get the width really even. I’m contemplating going for a twin-headlamp upgrade anyway, as the stock lights are so pipsqueak, so maybe I should do that and sidestep the whole issue.

Cheers,

-= mike =-

I suspect it would be hard to get the width really even.

If you use an engineer’s scribe and run it around the outer edge set at the correct width you should get not just a nice even line to paint to but also a slight depression which will stop the paint running.

I’m contemplating going for a twin-headlamp upgrade anyway, as the stock lights are so pipsqueak, so maybe I should do that and sidestep the whole issue

Have you dismissed the HID conversions - they are available on the SELOC site from one of the Dutch guys?

Hi Steve,

If you use an engineer’s scribe and run it around the outer edge set at the correct width you should get not just a nice even line to paint to but also a slight depression which will stop the paint running.

Top tip, thanks! (he says, having no real idea what an engineer’s scribe looks like – but will look into that)

Have you dismissed the HID conversions - they are available on the SELOC site from one of the Dutch guys?

Not at all, but I wasn’t aware of the Dutch option, just the fairly costly conversions from Eliseparts. I’m just in the process of doing a bit of searching to find out the received wisdom on those, but if you have any info to share then I’d love to hear it.

TTFN

-= mike =-

You need to find some “stripe” tape or whatever its called - used for putting a thin coachline down the side of cars in the 70’s … Halfruads used to stock it but maybe try a respray place ? - I used that on my headlamp covers - had to do both though as the colour was somewhat different

Thanks Andy, that sounds like the ideal quick fix for this… will give that a go and think about the HID idea over the next few weeks.

Ta muchly,

-= mike =-

I had my HID lights fitted last week, well worth the money to upgrade, when you put the main beam on now it is only a tiny bit brighter than just the dipped beam. I went for just the dipped beam option and cost about �170 delivered.

do you go the Dutch route?

Yep, was about �45 cheaper in the bulk buy offer I think Yvo sells them for just over �200 normal price. Where the beam is white its not as tiring as the standard yellow ones either on long journeys.