Hi from Gloucestershire

First of all can I say I’ve been visiting this forum for a number of years, and it is truly outstanding. I’m located in the forest-of-dean Gloucestershire, although originally from the nwest UK. Myself and my wife run the MK2 Golf owners club www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk. I’m looking for either an S3 or S1 Exige and my current car is a MK2 Golf Rallye, fully restored in black.

Hoping to buy an Exige in the next 3-6 month and hoping I don’t have to sell the Rallye to fund it :unamused:

Regards
Chris

Hope you can soon join the exiges.com gang in full!

Thank you Chris and a massive welcome buddy. :wave:

We are self moderated as you may know with a funny registration process but once you’re in, you’re in :thumbup:

Good luck in you’re hunt, I’m sure you’ll find the right car. I have an S1 which is undergoing restoration. Trying to move house is putting pay to the hands on jobs I need to do right now but the engine is slowly coming together elsewhere. Lots of changes along the way but mostly original spec. http://www.exiges.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19029

Post a few pictures (IMG Code) when you get a second and a link to your restoration.

Welcome Chris

Welcome Chris!

This is a good place to see where honest, enthusiast-owned cars get advertised first so keep an eye out.

Muu on here used to be big into the VW scene, I think he even had a Rallye or a G60.

Keep us up to date bud.

Welcome Chris, and hello from another Chris also located in the Forest of Dean :open_mouth:
Where about’s in the FOD are you from?

Mile end, Coleford chap. I’ve seen a blue S1 Exige around Coleford. Is that yours?

No, that’ll be Conway’s S1. I’m in Bream with the Orange S2 Exige. Will have to meet up when you get your Exige.

That was a bloody nice S1. Small world, I used to live in Bream. Yeah, once I get my hands on one we could get a regional meet going perhaps.

Guys, I’ve found an S1 for sale, but the price is on the steep side, £33k. Its a fair old distance from me, but that’s not the issue. The problem is the seller told me that the paint has micro-blisters. They said this is a very common problem with S1 Exiges. Is this true?

Yup its pretty common on may Lotus. Where are they on the car? Mine had some before it got resprayed earlier this year.

These are 16/17 year old cars now so taking one on is probably going to involve some ongoing effort if you want it to be perfect (see Jonnyfox’s thread!). Getting a concourse one would probably be a lot more than £33k.

Thanks

Ive asked her to send some pics. In the meantime I will keep looking. Thanks for your help.

Its not blue is it?

It’s not uncommon but believed it was more prevalent on the S2’s.

Do you have a link to the car in question?

Hi Kriss,

Great news… I think I know the car in Question if it’s the one I’m thinking of. The micro blistering was very minor on the access panels iirc. It could do with the headlight covers removing and a good clean underneath. It’s been looked after by my lotus mechanic from nearly new I beleive.

Of course I may be Barking up the wrong tree and its nowhere near Derbyshire at all…

Yeah it’s the same one: it was on piston heads for £35k a month or so ago. The blisters are predominantly on the front. I dot understand though why the engine block has “Elise” stamped on rather than “Exige”. It’s supposed to be a 190 vhpd.

Stamped on???

You mean like this car???

http://www.barryelysportscars.co.uk/lotus-exige-s1-2001/

That’s just a spark plug plastic cover and I would probably take a guess that its whatever lotus had lying around at the time.

May be wrong. The car is definitely a vhpd having heard and seen it move

Don’t worry mine had Elise on it as well.
Maybe the later Exiges got the correct cover. You can buy them if you want…

I had 2 nearly new S1s. And they both had Elise Spark plug covers …there were some aftermarket Exige ones about but I ended up making my own…dont need one now…Mines a Honda.

Ad says SOLD so,did you buy?