Hi all,

Bought an S1 last September very little use last year, put away over winter an now, well we all know about now!

I am looking for some replacement floor mats with the exige logo in them, anyone know where I can get some?

Cars basically sound but does have two issues, strong smell of petrol, not been able to track that down yet, and a spasmodic speedo, but if that’s all that’s wrong with it then I’m chuffed.

Nautilus blue, mean and moody!

Welcome along and great to have you here [mention]Buster[/mention]

Ill wait for one of the s1 knowledge geeks ( thats the politest thing people will call them ) to assist with the fuel smell and I think the speedo is due to a speed sensor if I recall correctly issue.

Any pictures my good man? You can upload by fitting full editor and preview then the small black backgroun i button

[mention]junks[/mention] might be able to advise on the floor mats.

Lastly, if you would like to start a build thread you are more than welcome

Welcome!

I believe the fuel filler neck can start to perish and it’s right behind the passenger compartment, so maybe worth a check there - I’m not completely familiar with the S1 anatomy but should be able to see/feel it from within the rear OS wheelarch(?)

Welcome indeed!

Fuel smell - the S1 had a recall ages ago for the breather. I guess it’s possible yours may have been missed? Either Lotus or a dealer should be able to check from your reg or VIN.

Speedo - wheel speed sensor, wiring or plug are most likely culprits. www.deroure.com is a good source of drawings, layouts.

Welcome.
Fuel smell will be either the filter neck that has perished or the breather. Both easy and worthwhile to sort. In did mine as part of ongoing maintenance.

I think the speed sensor is on the near side rear hub.

Put some pics up please :thumbup:

Welcome aboard, keep us posted .I’m lucky that so far, after 13 years, I have never suffered the apparently perenial problem of fuel smell. And I love the smell of petrol.

Welcome along

Hopefully that should say ‘perennial’…cos a smell of petrol from the perineum would be most concerning, no matter how much you like it :open_mouth:

Hi JCF, I think I might know you, either from insuring you at Routen Chaplin or the LDC breakfast meets at Hill Top?

Haven’t yet worked out how to post photos on this forum but will put up some pics when I can. Thanks for all the replies, working my way through the car so hopefully these can all get sorted.

Kim

:thumbup: Hi and welcome.

The smell of fuel is all part of the experience :laughing: Although if it’s bad yeah it’s probably the hoses, as above. There’s a chap on SELOC (lotusandy) makes/sells replacement filler and breather hoses: SELOC Classifieds – tag

Or I think [mention]junks[/mention] has original breather hoses, per the recall: https://classifieds.seloc.org/ads/s1-elise-exige-fuel-tank-breather-hose-uprated-service-bulletin/

Prepare for swearing at rusted jubilee clips and trying to prise off the originals though! :laughing:

There are two wheelspeed sensors on the Exige, just to confuse things. As [mention]johnfishcurtis[/mention] says, the one on the nearside rear hub drives the speedo, the offside one is for the ECU, and they’re slightly different parts.
https://www.deroure.com/partinfo.asp?MAK=1&MDL=20&TBL=0&SMA=1&SMO=16&ST=speedo&SC=0&PBID=46080

Welcome to Exiges.

I have had 3 x S1 Exiges and cant recall any issues with any of them.

Be great to see some pics

Oops, sorry, I had two Rs but missed the fact that I should have two Ns. Sad for a former national newspaper sub-editor. Although perennial was not much used in the Daily Express, Daily Sport or the Daily Star

Yes… more akin to Grauniad vocab? :unamused:

Hi Kim,

You are correct, we met at Donington with LDC.

Get the car sorted ready for when we can drive again.

Jon

Welcome, it’s hard to beat an S1 :ok_hand:

Thanks Deggles! Yes have plenty of the S1 Elise/Exige recall breather hoses :slight_smile:

Welcome and hope you get to use your Exige soon and the rest of us!

Regarding strong fuel smell depending how the car is running could be a few things but from personal experience mine developed a strong smell on fuel which I tracked down to the fuel cap. Swapped it and problem sorted. However prior to that there was rich running issue which ultimately was due to the exhaust leaking near the lambda, sorted with a 2bular system :smiley:

Good luck!

As requested a couple of photos of the new beast, sits along the Elise nicely!

Flipping brilliant.

Ooooof, that looks well :sunglasses: