Help identify my exhaust please!

Hi all,

I just did an intro post as I recently bought my first Lotus, an Exige S 240 and it came with an exhaust which sounds good, does drone a bit at certain speeds, but is quite loud when at higher revs. I’m trying to identify it so I have an idea from others whether it’s ok for track or not. I’ve booked in for a noise test at Combe ahead of my first TD there in June just in case.

Previous owner thought it was standard but the history states that Williams fitted an “exhaust supplied by customer” some years ago so assume it’s this one. Might have been swapped back to a standard Performance Pack exhaust at some point though (if there is such a thing?).

Any help appreciated identifying it as I can’t see any logos on it at all! I’ve noticed the likes of 2ubular etc tend to have lots of small baffle holes inside the oval tip - this one doesn’t.

These aren’t great pics, but thanks in advance!

James :sunglasses:

I can tell you it’s not a standard silencer and not a Stage 2.
Difficult without any markings (which could be on top), it could be a 2bular, Larini or Hanger 111, Elise parts.
What are its dimensions, this could help identify.

Nothing gives it away for sure unfortunately, it could be a 2bular - the design has changed many times over the years but it could be anything to be honest :confused:

I don’t think it’s a Lotus one though, it’s too shiny for that :laughing:

Only thing I can deduce is you have spitfire rear toe links.

Really could do with some markings on the exhaust if there are any?

Neither of my 2bulars have had markings on them. I think all you can do is what you’re already planning, get it to a circuit and get it tested. If you pass, but you’re close to the limit - then you still may need to consider alternatives as induction noise + exhaust noise on a driveby test can screw you, even if you passed the static.

It does look like a big box though, 7 or 8" - so providing it’s in good shape internally you should be OK. If it was a skinny 6"er you’d have less chance.

Thanks for the input all. Confirming it’s not a Lotus exhaust does help. I’ll do the noise test and if it isn’t looking good I’ll take it off and see if there’s anything on top… as part of replacing it!
Will measure the box at some point as well, but it could well be an 8" as it’s pretty much up against the boot floor/heatshield so doubt it can be bigger!

I’ll keep you posted after the noise test in a few weeks :thumbup:

Yep, I put the Spitfire toe links on :thumbup:

Do 2bular exhausts mate to none 2bular systems? Could that rule something in, or out?

You can tell the pubs are open again. Either Andy was pissed writing that out or I’ve had too many and just can’t understand it :laughing:

2bular backboxes will mate up to OEM manifolds/cats, I think that’s what you’re asking?

Sneaky edit is sneaky.

is that a Hanger111 backbox?

I don’t think so as they tend to have markings on mine certainly has

So I’m still none the wiser as to what exhaust is on my car, but I took it to Castle Combe yesterday for a noise check as I’m there in a few weeks.
They asked me to hold 4500rpm (I was expecting them to say 6000 as that’s 75% of 8000, but hey ho!

89-90dB was the result… pretty quiet then!
But as I’m sure you all know, it’s from about 6k that the noise really comes, so I’m still not completely confident for drive-by, but the guys said that did seem quiet for one of these so I should be fine… fingers crossed!