Helmet advice, trackday and competition

Any tips on helmets - open Face or closed?

Arai, Bell, Stilo, Sparco?

I’ll go for something Hans compatible.

Happy to spend up to £500 ish.

Best thing is to find somewhere to try them on and see what fits best. I’m not a huge TD hero but a Bell full face suits me and is HANS compatibile.

Try then on and get one that fits your head!!
I find bell really uncomfortable.
Arai fit me a treat

Thanks, good advice.

Agreed, try loads, helmet manufacturers all make slightly different shapes so get what fits :wink:

Any recommended suppliers within a couple of hours of Cumbria?
Newcastle, Manchester, Glasgow?
Failing that it’s Demon Tweens at Wrexham or GP Racewear at Silverstone.

Depending where in Cumbria, you could try McGill Motorsport who are in Kirkaldy…although they’re probably not much closer than Demon Tweeks!

Try on at demon thieves
Once decided buy from MSAR, asking for discount!!!

Try them using a liner, they can become a sweaty and smelly place after a few track days. Get some anti-bacterial spray as well.

Keith

Yes, a friend said the same. Does that mean going a little larger, or does it make little difference?

Just try them with a liner and see what fits. Also, if you wear glasses you need to make sure they are comfortable and finally, if you plan to take instruction, make sure it’s comfortable with ear buds. In my S1…”nobody car hear you scream”, so buds are essential.

Arai fit me well. Make sure you buy a balaclava first. ( I have a Stand 21 one, other makes are available…)
I bought a V2 for my son, excellent value. You’d save enough to get the Hans too.
Speak to Malcolm at MSAR when ready to purchase.
If he won’t give you a discount or talks at you for hours tell him I’ll withdraw my ATL fuel cell order.

I’d not heard of V2, good tip. They looked smart, although don’t appear on the MSAR website.
I’d really like to try various helmets on, but I’m about 3 hours from civilization in any direction, so might try mail order.

Do you have a motorcycle shop near to you?

If you’re going to do mail order then go try a few bike helmets on so you have a general size idea before you have to send loads back.

Here in West Cumbria the nearest decent motorcycle shop is in Carlisle. Last time I bought a helmet I went to Newcastle, Westgate Road I think? Plenty of choice there.

I’m thinking of going to Demon Tweeks on the Saturday before the trackday at Anglesey.

Just as an update…
It was well worth trying helmets in. I ended up with a Bell GT5 Touring. Very comfortable and helped me have a very enjoyable day at Anglesey today.