Harness bar installation

Don’t be fooled! it’s not easy.

Did the install this weekend. Taking the seats out was easy, though would have been even easier without the roof on.

Getting the trim off was fine.

Getting the bar on was fine or getting the trim on was also fine.

Doing both together was a nightmare.

I’m not sure if it was just the sort of bar I had, which had a large flat mounting on the end of it, so it wouldn’t fit through the nice neat hole in the trim, or something I was fundamentally doing wrong!

But I had a really hard time getting both back. In the end I had to cut more out of the trim than I ideally wanted, and this then gave me enough space to slide the bar back and then in. But I now have a larger hole in my trim than wanted.

I also needed to rotate my speaker screw positions from the original position in order to be able to do them up when the bar is in place, but that was no big deal.

I’m going to have the trim off again when I run some camera cable (and provisioning another cable for future fun) and I might just get some new trim and try again having left it in the sun for a bit to make it more bendy

So my advice on this… pay someone who’s done it before professionally!

I have never installed one on an S2 but was easy in a S1

did the harness bar have a large flat plate on the end of it that connected to the roll cage? if it had been smaller it would have been alot easier!

yes, connected to the back of the rollbar

Pats Performance Pack…

Pats Performance Pack???

I did install one in an S2 in the past. Wasn�t easy, but didn�t cut or drill anything!

I did install one in an S2 in the past. Wasn�t easy, but didn�t cut or drill anything!

George

An S2 Exige or Elise? Both Mr Jonty & 21GG had to cut trim on their S2 Exiges when they fitted the harness bar

Hello! ive not put it on my exige yet but did my old s2 elise.I found the way to cheat was to keep the hole for the harness bar only big enough to fit the bar. However i then made a saw cut from the harness bar hole to the speaker hole, this allowed it to be helped into position. Yes its easier without the roof but stil not the easiest of jobs.
Gav

I just made a bigger hole, can’t be seen behind the seats anyway. Works a treat

Mark

George

An S2 Exige or Elise? Both Mr Jonty & 21GG had to cut trim on their S2 Exiges when they fitted the harness bar

It was an S2 2002 111S Elise. The owner would rather not cut the bulkhead, so I just used a hammer to bend the side lips a bit.
The only thing I had to remove was the passenger seat!
I really don�t understand why they don�t manufacture it this way, so that you don�t have to cut the bulkhead.

They make one in the states which requires the removal of the trim to fit a bracket. Once the trim is replaced then the bar bolts in with no cutting or trimming! Its an obvious idea!
Gav

They make one in the states which requires the removal of the trim to fit a bracket. Once the trim is replaced then the bar bolts in with no cutting or trimming! Its an obvious idea!
Gav

Is this the one from Sector 111?

Yes thats the one, very neat / simple idea.
Gav

are the harness bars the same for the s1 and s2’s?

No, not if the Elise is anything to go by.

Have a look at Eliseparts.co.uk they show different bars iirc.

Fitted my Elise Parts Harness bar & Luke harnesses today

It was actually alot easier than i anticipated

Roof off, Seats out, rear trim removed, test fitted the bar and marked up the bar location with some masking tape on the door opening.

removed the bar and then refitted the trim and marked up the trim with masking tape where i needed to remove some of the rear trim on either side

then it was trim out again to do the cutting (i used a dremmel to do the cutting)

Then re-moved the speakers from the trim and refitted the trim then bolted on the harness bar .and used the holes for the speaker to gain access to the bolts to tighten them up with a halfords 17mm ratchet ring spanner

harness fitment was pretty straight forward

Car back together and out for a quick blast

Total job time 2 1/2 hrs