Happy Birthday S1 Exige

It’s been a while since I posted but as it is ‘sort of’ my cars 20th Birthday today I thought it deserved a mention :clap:

17 years of ownership now… and still 100% original, still even has the original wiper, shocks and YIP and just like the first time I drove it I still love everything about it.

Makes me smile every time I drive it and will never get bored of the noise and smell… :thumbup:

What a superb looking example of a s1.

20 years old but it certainly doesnt look it!

Great post, beautiful car. “Happy Birthday” to the Exige…

Thank you both :thumbup: I do try my best to look after it but always feel there are bits I can improve!

And well done Andy on everything you’ve done with the site :clap:

Appreciate the kind words but it would be futile without posts like yours.

Happy Birthday indeed, that does look a stunning example :thumbup:

Looks superb, but then I’m biased!

Nice to see one so original. How’s the suspension holding up? Mine’s still on original shocks, bushes, etc and feels a bit clunky. Planning on a refresh soon hoping to get back some of the magic :smiley:

Cheers :thumbup:

Yes I am a little biased too, my Elise was New Aluminium beforehand as well, although I do love the yellow and orange varieties too!

The suspension is pretty much the same as you describe, it is a bit clunky but I think it always has a little from what I remember :laughing:

Yes I was thinking of doing the same refresh, I was actually talking to Dan at HPE about it the other day so definitely something I’m planning like you. I believe Koni will also service the shocks but not had any experience yet, but if I have it done soon I will let you know…

Thanks, would be interested - I wasn’t sure if the Konis could be even be rebuilt/serviced. I have some shiny Nitrons waiting to go on but will certainly be hanging on to the Konis for future ‘originality’. I’m hoping new bushes and balljoints will help as much, if not more than shocks for ride quality. :thumbup:

That is a fine looking Exige sir (also biased as another New Aluminium owner) but they do look great in this colour as much as I love the bold colours the silver and black combo works a treat. Still original shocks on mine too which look to be in a great nick - how much of a workout can they get on such a light car and 20k miles?!

Thank you :thumbup: Feel quite chuffed everyone thinks its great.

I also think the New Ali / Black combination looks great, so great in fact when I first saw one in Nick Whales showroom when I had only had my Elise a week, I wanted the Exige there and then… As it turned out when I was able to afford one 3 years later and ended up buying the exact same car I fell in love with in the showroom 3 years previous but from a different dealer! I think it was meant to be :smiley:

Yes couldn’t agree more re the shocks and mine too has only 23k miles, as Deggles mentioned, I bet a new set of bushes, balljoints and the like will make the world of difference.

We need a few more pictures now :wink:

Here’s a couple more :thumbup:

In my request to restore it to original I must add that the Chrome Indicator stalks have now been replaced by nice plastic originals :laughing:

I have an s2 and I think its a fantastic looking car but the s1 is just better aesthetically to me. It just looks so right from every angle.

That is lovely. I think the S1 is ageing really well, particularly the interior - that raw motorsports look has come full circle, where Lotus have tried modernising later on in the S2/S3 lines with bits of leather and nicely trimmed bits - the minimal look with alcantara and aluminium is just spot on.

Not to poach someone else’s thread but I couldn’t agree more. Clearly more performant and useable cars available but S1 really got the looks bit nailed. .

Don’t worry your not, It’s great to see another Exige in the same thread :thumbup: I will never tire of seeing them,

And totally agree, I had a S2 Elise for a month once as a courtesy car from the factory (long story) and it was great! Quiet, a nicer drive and an all round better car… BUT then I saw my Exige being delivered back on the trailer and instantly fell in love again… Soppy Git :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

In my mind nothing will ever beat it for that racing car feel in a road car :clap:

Hi, long time ago I posted here. Site looks the bling now.

Indeed a special year. 12yr of ownership, not so original anymore. But still the bling. Love putting miles on her and will hopefully head down to Stelvio in September. :thumbup:

Super nice car, but what kind of silencer have you installed?
It doesn’t look like the original Janspeed exhaust.

Cheers