Ground clearance, overhangs and daily use

Hi all

I’m new to this forum so please go easy on me. Already searched the forum for answers to no avail.

I’m currently an Elise S1 owner of 6 years and am looking to “upgrade” to an Exige S1.

My Elise has LSS and I do struggle sometimes with ramps and speedbumps with the full size numberplate and plinth. The ground clearance appears to be about the same at the front on an Exige as on my Elise.

Now I know that the clams are different on the S1 Exige, but what is the front overhang like with the splitter. Is is about the same as an Elise with number plate plinth, shorter or longer.

Also, I’ve seen a few Exiges now and the idling is quite rough as I expected, does anyone use their Exige as a daily drive and is it a PITA in traffic?

Probably have some more questions soon.

Cheers
James

90% of the time ground clearance is not a problem - you just have to be a bit careful and don’t run it lower than standard.

The VHPD is an absolute dog in traffic. I use mine every day and did so before the Honda too. Its much easier now but was possible before, just avoid trips to London and heavy traffic in general.

I had an Elise Sport 190 before my Exige, and I’m pretty sure the Exige’s ride height is slightly higher than the Elise. I’ve never had a problem with speed bumps, I did scrape the front slightly once when pulling out of a petrol station, but it’s not really a problem if you’re careful.

As Randy says, the VHPD is a bit rough at idle, but it’s certainly livable with.

hi! i use my s1 exige as a daily driver and use it to commute to glasgow everyday for work and play alike
I find that with the 192 upgrade it seems to be more manageable in traffic and have never seen it rise above 94degrees in ridiculous tailbacks in the heat of summer. You can park it in silly small spaces and dart in between lanes Overhang is a bit of an issue in certain multi storeys and petrol stations but you will get that with most supercars. Anyway, the wheelbase is so short that you usually ‘just’ make it over. I absolutley adore using my exige everyday and it has never let me down caome rain or shine just keep the oil/coolant levels ok and keep a watchful eye on the temp and you ll be fine

James,

I went through at least 4 No front plates on an S1 elise in 3 years (standard suspension) & just the 1 (original) in 3 years with the S1 Exige.

Never had a problem with ramps etc in the Exige.

Tim.

Coming off big flat speed bumps too fast produces a blood curdling crack/scrape noise - not readily repeated when you have done it once

The heads of the number plate bracket bolts and the brackets double as sacrificial splitter protectors - well they do on mine anyway!

Never had a problem going up a bump.

Had a couple of scrapes with a gradient change i.e. going into a dip/decending a slope onto a flat etc… as you would expect…

My original front number plate fell of after going to the 'ring, after scraping the splitter along the karousel at 90 for 5 laps

It sounds horrible but in that instance it just HAD to be done!!!

I have one of those stick on number plates on the front between the lights. The Rozzers dont seem to mind, and it saves knocking it off. Also a rozzer friend of mine said that the stick on ones make it very difficult to get a reading with the lazer speed guns as they usually aim for the plate and it doesn’t reflect from there.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I must have gone through 10 new front number plates on my Elise during ownership, but the way I see it I’d rather smash a number plate than scrape the front clam, so I regard the front plate as sacrificial. But I do scrape my front plate every (work) day getting into my underground car park at my office.

Good to hear you can do the same with the Exige.

I did measure the ground clearance on one of the Exiges I saw and it was exactly the same as my Elise. But obviously if the overhang at the front is greater then it more likely to thwack it getting into my car park.

One final thing. Who has come from an Elise to an Exige here. Are you happy with an Exige or are you thinking of going back to an Elise?

Cheers
James

I had an early S1 Elise, which I gradually upgraded with a few choice mods including LSS.
I then swapped it for a Sport 190. Twas a proper factory built track car complete with the half roll cage, race seat, electrical cut-out etc.
Next came the Exige, which acually feels slightly tame compared to the Sport 190.
I’d probably still have the 190 if I hadn’t written it off It was more lively than the Exige, and usefully quicker in a straight line. However, the Exige is fantastically planted on the road, and of course it look the absolute dogs wotsits.

I wouldn’t swap back to a normal Elise, it would just seem soooo tame after the Exige.

The only think I could really consider changing my car for is an S2 Exige because I don’t do a lot of track days, and the new one is obviously going to be a better road car. Trouble is, I just don’t think it’s worth anything like the 10 grand+ it would cost to change.

I must admit when I had to have my engine rebuilt recently I did consider chopping it in for a used 111R, but I didn’t think about it for long. It just wouldn’t be the same.

What you need is a Honda Engine Brendan .

I had a 111s and loved it but on looks alone I would choose the Exige - IMHO it just looks so bloody horny!

I still think the Elise is fantastic but(at the risk of offending every Elise owner) just look at one parked next to an S1 Exige and tell me which one looks like if it had balls it would trip over 'em.

I have had a few chaps drive the Exige and are blown away by the handling (mines boggo standard)

It’s my dream car. Someone asked me what i’m having next/upgrade and I just dont have one in mind. Again IMHO what else can you get for Exige money that ticks all the boxes?? Nuff said

and If you like being looked at you know which colour to buy

Randy, if the car came with a Honda as standard it would have been perfect.
As it is, there’s not way I can justify the expense of an engine swap. Maybe one day in the future when my financial situtation improves, and the Edwards boys or somebody else can offer an affordable conversion, and my K series is in need of another rebuild.
Thing is, I actually like my engine. The only problem is a lack of real punch for overtaking. I still miss my Esprit(s) in that respect.
The Sport 190 seemed to pull much stronger at high speed than the Exige. I remember when I first picked it up, on the way home I hit 145 and it was still accelerating. The Exige is almost done at 130

Maybe I should take the wing off and see how much difference it makes

I agree that when I parked my Elise S1 next to an Exige S1 that my Elise looked pretty pathetic in comparison. Just wondering how much i’m going to miss not taking the lid off.

Actually just thought of another question. How useable is the space behind the airbox as a boot? Does everything get roasted and covered in gunk from the engine or are you actually able to put stuff in there? Would a holdall burst into flames maybe?

Chrome Orange seems to be very hard to get hold of. I think I may have to go for a silver car like my S1.

The boot space gets nice and warm, but it’s quite useable. You do get a slight build up of road grime over time. I’ve got a holdall made of black, textured plasticy sort of stuff (almost carbon effect, goes nicely with the carbon airbox) not the most elegant looking thing, but it’s washable.
I managed to fill the boot area with clothes and stuff when I went touring around Europe.

Now you’ve hit upon an important issue. I think you’ll find Yellow is a far better option than your “light grey” idea

No holdalls alright I went to Switzerland in mine a few months back had to put everything in carrier bags then into the holdall. Everything was a bit hot & sweaty when I took it out but no flames.

I agree that when I parked my Elise S1 next to an Exige S1 that my Elise looked pretty pathetic in comparison. Just wondering how much i’m going to miss not taking the lid off.

Actually just thought of another question. How useable is the space behind the airbox as a boot? Does everything get roasted and covered in gunk from the engine or are you actually able to put stuff in there? Would a holdall burst into flames maybe?

Chrome Orange seems to be very hard to get hold of. I think I may have to go for a silver car like my S1.

Damm too slow.

James,

FWIW, I went from an S1 Elise to S1 Exige & now 111R…with Exige wheels/tyres (for now). Maybe go for the LSS too.

For me, it provides the best of both worlds in road use, with added refinement, which is what I wanted. Ive only tried the standard wheels on track, so cant yet comment on the alternative set up.

Looks aside though, I’ve no regrets.But the S2 look c/w black wheels & hard top gets better every day.

Tim.