Good info on the engines used

This is the most detailed description i could find about the engines used in the S2-Exige (or 111R Elise)

GReetz,

S.

Hmm - I’m loving this assertion by Lotus that aftermarket exhaust manufacturers play around with their beloved bi-furcated design at their peril. Can’t wait!

hey Jim

What does bi-furcated actually mean ?

Two branches ??

Yes, Mike’s right, going mostly on what’s being said on American forums, the position of the final 2 into 1 downpipe section is apparently “crucial” to the performance of the engine. Well, possibly for their (Lotus) design that may be true but Heh! they should never make statements like that - they WILL be proved wrong.

eta then ?

Well, first I have to find a willing volunteer!! Actually, there was no shortage for the S2 prototype work - will be running at Knockhill Saturday, all being well. Waiting on Uldis’ engine and once I have the manifold for that I will look for a Toyota-engined “mule”.

Well, first I have to find a willing volunteer!! Actually, there was no shortage for the S2 prototype work - will be running at Knockhill Saturday, all being well. Waiting on Uldis’ engine and once I have the manifold for that I will look for a Toyota-engined “mule”.

Well I have a boggo standard s1 exige with an exhaust that will be 4 in January…

A 4yr old exhaust - amazing.You should get that seen to!

Well, Jim, you will soon get your hands on my car, the engine is arriving next week!

And Mike, so that means that you finally want to get rid of that big dead weight behind you? (and I’m not referring to your bum )

You’ll be pleasantly surprised, this system is going to look like no other and be lighter as well.
With the added advantage of power curves from all the different stages.

Thanks Uldis! Hope I’m pleasantly surprised too. Will be trying the silencer on Ali’s car at Knockhill this Saturday, someone’s bringing a noise-meter. Looking for 95db with a CRP.

Packed or baffled box?

Ian

Errr… strangely, it’s a combination of both! (packed with chambers)
But the system would be much easier to repack anyway, far easier than the current setup.

I guess Jim doesn’t want to tell too many details until we have a working prototype.

Oh it’s a straight thru box, 2.5" bore (I’m with the Edwards boys on that). Yes, I know what Larini said but it seems they can’t be bothered to weld 2 bends together (you have to on the 2.5" system) so they won’t be incorporating the additions I’ve made to the straight thru design - I don’t want to say too much at this stage - primarily because I don’t have the noise meter readings yet!

Uldis - what’s the latest on your engine? When are you getting it back?

This Saturday - hurray!

Have a place at Emeralds RR to map it on the 5th.

Whilst my Collins shows the word “bifurcated” as meaning divided into two branches, after a conversation with one of the designers it turns out that the Lotus-designed bifurcated exhaust on the Toyota 2ZZ-GE 111R has only one pipe with a dividing strip down the inside! Apparently, this strip is there solely to accelerate the warm-up of the Catalyst and actually harms performance - as I said, can’t wait. BTW car only managed 5 laps at Knockhill (engine) - so no noise test! Looks like Uldis will have to supply the figures.

Uldis, Is the 5th a definate date? i may take the day off and come over if thats ok ?

Well, yes, so far. And I don’t intend on re-scheduling again, (done it three times), otherwise I miss the Ring trip and that’s been paid for.

I tell you what, if there is a change (missing piston or something ) I’ll let you know, otherwise, we’re on. Happy to see you there.

This Saturday - hurray!

Have a place at Emeralds RR to map it on the 5th.

Excellent news!

Must drop SimonE a line regarding my own plans - been meaning to chat to him for 2 months now, but never seem to get the time… arrggghhh!!!