gearbox?

Quite frequently, when trying to engage reverse only, I get a sound like a bag of nails being stirred and the gear will not engage. it normally engages OK second time around.Should I be very worried or just worried…?ken

I think it is ok 2nd time because you have stopped the gearbox turning on the shaft. Try engaging another gear, then go for reverse - if that cures it, it could be your reverse synchro.Hang on a minute, doews reverse have a synchro?

Never feels like there is a syncro on reverse. Mine’s particularly crunchy in reverse so being the good little geek bot that I am I’ve adopted the time honoured double-declutch. Just blip the accelerator with the clutch up in neutral before trying to engage reverse. Should be much smoother.Same technique works fine for finding second on the track, or first on the road [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image], under braking.

quote:Originally posted by Ken Baird:Quite frequently, when trying to engage reverse only, I get a sound like a bag of nails being stirred and the gear will not engage. it normally engages OK second time around.Should I be very worried or just worried…?kenKen - you’ve obviously never had a Mini.I have the same thing with my Exige. The ONLY thing to do is to select 4th gear (stops the shaft dead) then change to reverse a.f.a.p. - will take a little practice to perfect the motion, but you’ll never have a reverse gear crunch again!p.s. 5th to reverse won’t work due to the safety catch to stop you doing it at high speed.p.p.s. No, reverse does not have a synchro fitted.Hope this helps.Phil GT