Gear Knob

Had my toy serviced yesterday - one of the service advice notes said the gear knob was out of alignment - when I queried it they said the knob had turned round and the label didnt line up anymore - is this so difficult to fix that it took an advice note to warn me!?

Well it can be actually! To straighten it can mean needing to attach a wrench, which then marks the knob, so I suspect they just wanted to leave it up to you.

I have a plain black knob (que, puns from mike and Uldis) and my old original one is quite scratched up despite them trying to protect it.

Ian

So it looks as if you have to put something inside the gear lever knob for the gear lever to screw down to - or put a back nut on the shaft…?

Tone

Be careful ! - The fact that the label is not straight can cause gear selection problems and in the worse case result in a wrecked gearbox … you have been warned !

on the other hand …

As the thread goes onto a taper you may not get an extra turn - if thats the way the knob has to go - so one way is to put a sticky rubber “foot” ( like off a computer case ) ontop of the thread of the shaft and screw down on that to shorten the depth of the hole … that way you save the gearbox …

I have a plain black knob (que, puns from mike and Uldis) and my old original one is quite scratched up despite them trying to protect it.

Ian

Check that out, this normally comes from circulatory problems… or soiled underpants!

OTOH, mine had its sticker not line up correctly after I applied some corrective surgery.
See, my stick was too long and I shortened it 2"
Screwing on the knob (I like that ) the sticker didn’t align so well, so I did this.

Gentlemen, it is with great pleasure that I introduce my Knob to you:

[image]http://forums.seloc.org/images/upload/Uldis%20avatar%20and%20bits/3491.jpg[/image]

LOL…

If you can get the knob off, it’s easy to realign the badge. It’s a thin disc of aluminium glued into the top of the knob. You just need to push it out from underneath. Don’t use anything too thin, it might dent the badge. You need something just slightly thinner than the gear stick.
Once it’s off, it easy to glue it back on at the right angle. I went through all of this when I sawed a couple of inches off my stick.

I just used a good threadlock to position it and then let is set !!

I was going to steam the badge off of my knob!

painfull