Gas Struts

Uldis,

Having them too upright means you run out of travel very quickly, it would be better to have them at quite a flat angle but not sure how much shorter you could get away with.

Full fitting instructions

Parts required :
1 pair of struts
4 x 5mm nuts
4 x small washers

Tools required:
Measuring device (ruler)
Marking device (pencil)
2 x 8mm spanners
5mm drill bit

The Struts
Obviously you can do what you want with regard to buying struts but the parts I bought are as follows.
I bought them from RS Components. They are part number 182-4655 and cost approx �66 including VAT and delivery. They come with the ball connectors at each end but don’t come with nuts (I had some 5mm ones from B&Q in the garage already). If you buy/use different struts then the mounting points will be different (unless they are the same length, full technical details are on the RS site).

Fitting

First thing to do is loosen off the pressure in the struts, This is done using an allen key which comes with the struts, do it in one second bursts until you can push the struts down, but don’t soften off too much, also make sure you release the same pressure on the other one as well. DO NOT LET TOO MUCH OUT AS THE STRUTS CANNOT BE RE-PRESSURISED

Prop the cover up with your favourite bit of wood (for the last time ).

Onto the car, Firstly remove the 2 shiney black side panels in the engine bay (lower part) these are held in with one screw in the rain gulley and 2 plastic screws holding it to the main part at the rear window.

After this drill the relevant 5mm holes.
The hole on the plastic panel is positioned as follows. 95mm down from the point where the plastic panel meets the clam (under the rubber seal (see pics 2 & 3)) and 55mm from the rear window at that point (95mm down).

Position the strut in the hole and check the location point for the hole in the engine cover frame. It should be at the far end of the 2nd slot (furthest away from the hinge). This is on the inside edge (see the pictures). Moving it closer towards the engine cover hinge will mean it opens further, but it also means the struts may run out of travel before it is fully closed.

The 5mm holes will be quite tight to get the stud through but it will fit and it means there is less chance of it moving around.

The struts should be fitted with the body at the top (as per the instructions). Prior to fitting, make sure the pressure release grub screw will be easily accessable once the struts are fitted.

Getting the nuts on the end inside the engine cover frame is very fiddly (someone with small fingers is a bonus!).

Once all the nuts are fully tightened up try to close the cover. It probably won’t be possible, so begin to release the pressure further in the struts until it is possible to close with some pressure, If for any reason the struts run out of travel before you have fully closed the cover then you will need to lower the lower mounting point on the strut, this will also reduce the amount the cover opens. It is then down to personal preference to set the speed at which the cover opens, remember that if it’s too fast the abrupt stop when it reaches the fully open position could put undue stress on the mounting points which could lead to the panels cracking. Again DO NOT LET TOO MUCH OUT AS THE STRUTS CANNOT BE RE-PRESSURISED

Remember to refit the lower side panels.

This is how I fitted the parts on my car, if you mess it up or the usual quality Lotus tolerances mean your cover slots etc don’t match up IT ISN’T MY FAULT !

another successful product from exiges.com

Nice one Mark, my struts have been ordered

Time to get the trusty drill out again!

You need to make it powered though. And openable from the alarm blipper.

Proper bo.

You need to make it powered though. And openable from the alarm blipper.

Bri, just like the roof on the S2 Exige then?

Great for bopping pigeons… ??

Very smart Mark my next mod I think!

Thanks the the instructions Mark, fitted mine today.

Only additional modification I had to do was mess about with the alarm sensor as it thought the engine cover wasnt closed, gas struts obviously lift it slightly compared to without them.

If the struts are still lifting it enough to upset the sensor then they could still be too strong and need de-pressurising further.

I’ll keep an eye on it but I think its just the holes I drilled are a bit tight as the gas strut only just has enough room to close itself fully with the lid shut.

Got my struts fitted last weekend-works a treat!!Thanks for the info+pics.

Full fitting instructions >

Parts required :
1 pair of struts
4 x 5mm nuts
4 x small washers

Tools required:
Measuring device (ruler)
Marking device (pencil)
2 x 8mm spanners
5mm drill bit

The Struts
Obviously you can do what you want with regard to buying struts but the parts I bought are as follows.
I bought them from > RS Components> . They are part number > 182-4655 > and cost approx �66 including VAT and delivery. They come with the ball connectors at each end but don’t come with nuts (I had some 5mm ones from B&Q in the garage already). If you buy/use different struts then the mounting points will be different (unless they are the same length, full technical details are on the RS site).

Fitting

First thing to do is loosen off the pressure in the struts, This is done using an allen key which comes with the struts, do it in one second bursts until you can push the struts down, but don’t soften off too much, also make sure you release the same pressure on the other one as well. > DO NOT LET TOO MUCH OUT AS THE STRUTS CANNOT BE RE-PRESSURISED

Prop the cover up with your favourite bit of wood (for the last time ).

Onto the car, Firstly remove the 2 shiney black side panels in the engine bay (lower part) these are held in with one screw in the rain gulley and 2 plastic screws holding it to the main part at the rear window.

After this drill the relevant 5mm holes.
The hole on the plastic panel is positioned as follows. 95mm down from the point where the plastic panel meets the clam (under the rubber seal (see pics 2 & 3)) and 55mm from the rear window at that point (95mm down).

Position the strut in the hole and check the location point for the hole in the engine cover frame. It should be at the far end of the 2nd slot (furthest away from the hinge). This is on the inside edge (see the pictures). Moving it closer towards the engine cover hinge will mean it opens further, but it also means the struts may run out of travel before it is fully closed.

The 5mm holes will be quite tight to get the stud through but it will fit and it means there is less chance of it moving around.

The struts should be fitted with the body at the top (as per the instructions). Prior to fitting, make sure the pressure release grub screw will be easily accessable once the struts are fitted.

Getting the nuts on the end inside the engine cover frame is very fiddly (someone with small fingers is a bonus!).

Once all the nuts are fully tightened up try to close the cover. It probably won’t be possible, so begin to release the pressure further in the struts until it is possible to close with some pressure, If for any reason the struts run out of travel before you have fully closed the cover then you will need to lower the lower mounting point on the strut, this will also reduce the amount the cover opens. It is then down to personal preference to set the speed at which the cover opens, remember that if it’s too fast the abrupt stop when it reaches the fully open position could put undue stress on the mounting points which could lead to the panels cracking. Again > DO NOT LET TOO MUCH OUT AS THE STRUTS CANNOT BE RE-PRESSURISED

Remember to refit the lower side panels.

This is how I fitted the parts on my car, if you mess it up or the usual quality Lotus tolerances mean your cover slots etc don’t match up IT ISN’T MY FAULT !

Thanks for these Mark !

Noticed your car at Cadwell and have just fitted the struts… it’s now how it should have been out of the factory!

Tsk… adding weight like that… you should all be ashamed of yourselves (or buy an S2)

I mean, I can understand Honda owners needing gas struts so they can keep constant check on their CV joints… but for other owners what’s wrong with propping it open !!

Tsk… adding weight like that… you should all be ashamed of yourselves (or buy an S2)

Better than having one of these in the engine bay…

[image]http://www.cruise-vacation-advisor.com/images/Ship-Anchor.jpg[/image]

I mean, I can understand Honda owners needing gas struts so they can keep constant check on their CV joints… but for other owners what’s wrong with propping it open !!

Haha…but in an attempt to compensate for the additional weight, I removed the soundproofing from the boot floor (which was surprisingly heavy!)

\

Who are you calling an anchor !