FYI Honda K20 engines

Hey

First post. My name is Anthony Smith and I run a company called Spoon Sports, we have access to the end of line supply of the K20 engine in brand new form. We ship these JDM versions (220ps) of the engines and gearboxes to the UK from Japan. Recently the production has ended causing a shortage world wide.

We have some coming in to the UK durign this month that are not sold

Please contact me for any more information

Regards

Anthony
SSEL
01934 410090

Hi Anthony, welcome!

Bit naughty your first contribution being commercial, but what you post is rather interesting. So earn your spurs and give us a but more info.

What’s the cost of such a new beasty? And does it come with a g’box, loom, etc?

Also, what are they replacing it with? I thought the new Civic was having the same engine?

Cheers, Ian

Hey man

Thanks for the welcome, please see the image

[image]http://www.spoonsportseurope.net/images/Development/003_Big.jpg[/image]

Supplied by Spoon Sports Japan, are the complete assemblies as installed
into the Integra DC5, with the following specifications.

1. [10000-K20-000] K20 / DC5 Engine Assembly (220ps) including:
    Inlet manifold, injectors, fuel rail, throttle body, ignition coils,
    wiring harness, exhaust manifold.
    Price �3000 + shipping ant VAT

2. [20000-K20-000] K20 / DC5 Transmission Assembly including:
    6 Speed Manual with Helical LSD
    Price �1500 + shipping ant VAT

3. [3000-K20-000] Assembly Kit for Eng / Trans Assembly including:
    Flywheel, clutch, cover & bolts, starter motor, bolts, trans / eng bolts
    Price �600 + shipping and VAT

Spoon Sports Clutch Plate, Cover, Differential, Gear Ratio’s etc… all optional at extra cost

The verson of the engine and box that is being discontinued is the JDM. this is the last supply of the Boxe’s and Engines. It is rumored that they will be using the same engine as the EUDM (25ps down on the JDM) but there will be many many other changes to the car. could be looking at a 1100 kilo hot hatch, changes the story a bit.

Regards,

AAntony
SSEL

Far too much money, sorry, mate.

Low mileage UK spec Complete engines/gearboxes/ancilliaries/driveshafts/exhaust manifold/ECU & loom can be bought from reputable salvage guys (2 are Exige owners on this forum} for around �3000. Spend another �3000 (incl fitting) on a Jackson Supercharger, & you’ve got a reliable 280 - 300 bhp.

Sorry to pee on your bonfire

Do I also recall that the JDM spec engine does not adapt well to Supercharging - I seem to recall Christian sourcing a JDM engine and then ditching it for EU engine since he was bolting on the JRSC.

Thought it was that the JDM doesn’t have an oil pressure sensor or something.

Definitely too expensive �3k pls shipping plus vat

Low mileage (

Definitely too expensive �3k pls shipping plus vat

Plus gearbox, etc, etc

Low mileage (

My name is Anthony Smith and I run a company called Spoon Sports, we have access to the end of line supply of the K20 engine in brand new form. We ship these JDM versions (220ps) of the engines and gearboxes to the UK from Japan. Recently the production has ended causing a shortage world wide.

I assume you are connected with Spoon in Japan? If so are you planning to import all their tuning parts, shame they won’t be at Japanese prices though

Should drop even more when they bring out the Civic Type RR with 240bhp as standard.

No chance! Too many people fitting the K20a in kits for Lotus, Caterfield plus other kit cars.
Also next civic type R will still have 200bhp.

I think Steve is talking about a rumoured RR hot version with extra bhp.

Ian

I think Steve is talking about a rumoured RR hot version with extra bhp.

Ian

Oh yes Now if it comes with uprated internals then it would be a better starting point for over 300bhp power

However from everything I’ve read and heard through the (Japanese) grapevine it won’t be a K20a fitted to the next Type R so won’t fit (at the moment).

JDM spec engine does not adapt well to Supercharging

Could be right the JDM has a slightly higher comp ratio to compensate for the use of better fuel

Thought it was that the JDM doesn’t have an oil pressure sensor or something

The only thing the JDM doesn�t have is temperature controlled VTEC, in other words WILL hit VTEC when cold - but you wouldn’t be so silly as to do that anyway

Civic Type RR with 240bhp as standard

LOL, you read too much Autocar. There will be no power increases, they will be using the EU motor. the only changes will be the weight

I assume you are connected with Spoon in Japan? If so are you planning to import all their tuning parts, shame they won’t be at Japanese prices though

We already do and have been for 24 months now and hold well over 200K’s worth of stock. The product range keeps getting stronger and sales are increasing. Tichi (Mr. Spoon himself) came to the UK and drove a converted Exige two weeks ago now. He was very impressed but the G/box was shoddy so he will be releasing an Xtrac box soon developed by ourselves

These engines may not be the cheapest option, but they are new, the only new ones available - try walking in to Honda and buying one. The JDM unit is better then the EU unit as standard and take to supercharging like a fish in water, but you will still always have this issue of a supercharger creating torque, torque and Honda engines are like chocolate tea pots. But with the correct tuning, you can make the combination work. Technically a unit with the slightly higher compression and correct tuning JDM will burn fuel better when combined with a JRSC @ 7psi than the lower compression unit. At the end of the day it comes down to what you are aiming to achieve with the motor. Rip raw power or a very quick reliable / comfortable drive.

Anyone considered the gearing of the car? the JDM box comes with closter 4th 5th and 6th gears ad standard. AND an LSD! with simple changes the box is much more suitable to the needs of specification lay down by the customer. we have now built boxes for 90% of the cars running in the EERC endurance race series, making the whole pack on average about 2 - 2.5 seconds quicker.
Do most run small or large wheels?

I’ll get me coat

Anthony

Tichi Spoon, is that not a T-spoon?

Where did I put my coat? …

Anthony

Just a few points:

1. There is no lack of torque in the converted Exige/Elise - they are considerably lighter than the Civic! Also, most of us have mappable ECU’s, so we tend to have the iVtec coming in at 4500rpm.

2. EU gear ratios are considered by many (myself included) to be better suited to the Exige/Elise, than the JDM ratios.

3. The JDM LSD is designed for a FWD application, rather than RWD.

4.Exiges run on 16" diameter wheels on the front, & 17" on the rear.

Please don’t view my posts as “negative” - just bringing you up to speed as to where we’re at

Anthony

Just a few points:

1. There is no lack of torque in the converted Exige/Elise - they are considerably lighter than the Civic! Also, most of us have mappable ECU’s, so we tend to have the iVtec coming in at 4500rpm.

2. EU gear ratios are considered by many (myself included) to be better suited to the Exige/Elise, than the JDM ratios.

3. The JDM LSD is designed for a FWD application, rather than RWD.

4.Exiges run on 16" diameter wheels on the front, & 17" on the rear.

Please don’t view my posts as “negative” - just bringing you up to speed as to where we’re at

DING!

the gearing is too short as it is…I would prefer a longer FD for Elise/Exige application - not shorter

Same for LSD - no good in a RWD car

…and as most people are getting 220bhp from an EU K20A with exhaust/induction/remap/sports cat etc then thats why for the Elise/Exige conversion market the EU engine is far more popular - its just not worth paying the extra for a JDM one.

�2.5K for a sub 5K mile EU K20A or like �7K+ for a new JDM!? …that means the conversion cost would be like �15K ish instead of �9-10K for an NA conversion