Fun video from the Nordschleife

A bit of fun to brighten up the Xmas doldrums between Xmas and New Year

Watch to the end

I reckon F1 is speeded up too!

Excellent video mate! That is the first vid I have watched that actually shows the roller coaster nature of the Ring.

I want to go now! Really do!

A bit of fun to brighten up the Xmas doldrums between Xmas and New Year

Nordschleife fun in a Lotus Exige on Vimeo

Watch to the end

Awesome, mate, many thanks for posting it

Great to see you regularly driving your car on a circuit

Video quality is fantastic, & as Pete says, it really does make you want to drive here

Thanks Guys

The video is from my one trip in the Exige to the NS. It was so different from my M3 CSL and its the first manual car I’ve driven there.

It was drying so I wasn’t ‘on it’. The original video is on my list of videos on Vimeo and you can see the actual pace.

I did this vid more to practice with Apple’s Final Cut Express, hence the ‘tweak’ as I am trying out new things with it all the time. The titles are made from scratch using LiveType and that is a bit more involved and creatively more challenging.

I thought Homer was a suitable addition at the end

[Video quality is fantastic, & as Pete says, it really does make you want to drive here

So we should visit next year eh!!!

Unless it’s a proper UK organised trackday, I’m too wimpish to drive it

Seen too many videos of “incidents” eg exiting blind corners when someone is stranded in the middle of the road, really slow moving vehicles not realising quicker things are rapidly approaching etc etc. I’d be a chicane too for lord knows how many laps, until I started to get the hang of the place. Also, the lack of insurance cover would concern me on an “open day”.

Sad but true

Rob Beves is organising a Lotus only day on seloc.

Rob Beves is organising a Lotus only day on seloc.

Is this definately going ahead Damon, & if so, what’s the cost (given the exchange rate!!!)?

Still awaiting final dates, but this is the latest update:

http://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=183293&page=1#pid3498860

N�rburgring Nordschleife Lotus-only Track Day (yes really!) - 3rd.Aug.09 (Mon)

August 2009 - exact date tbc

After having been a regular visitor to the Ring for public ‘touristenfahrten’ days since 2001 and watched it get ever busier and more dangerous, I’m finally making some headway in organising a private trackday.

As a keen Lotus owner, member of Lotus on Track since the start and current competitor in the Lotus On Track Elise Trophy, I know that if anyone can pull this off, we as a Lotus community can.

So, the question is, if I can secure a Lotus-only trackday at the Ring for sometime in August 2009 at a maximum cost of �595* (about �475 at today’s lousy exchange rates) per car for min 50 cars and hopefully less if we can attract (and are allowed) more cars up to say a maximum of 100, who’s up for it?

*By comparison, a 25 lap ticket for a public day costs �370 and you’re sharing the track with the complete spectrum of driver experience and machinery, many of whom have never been anywhere near a track before. Some may enjoy the additional ‘challenge’ of running up against everything from Ringmeisters flat-out in their GT3’s to coaches full of tourists whilst trying to avoid colliding with motorcyclists taking completely different lines and stopping distances to cars, but the accident statistics speak for themselves. I for one would gladly pay a premium to share this legendary circuit with people who’ve all had the same briefing (any briefing would be a novelty!), will treat other drivers with respect and (hopefully!) not drive like most of the muppets who seem to inhabit the place nowadays.

More details to follow once I can get an idea of numbers, although the exact dates are now not expected to be released until sometime late in November (and more likely in December). I’m giving up work at the end of October to do something car related, so I’m happy to spend the time it’ll take to organise everything including hotel(s) and potentially crossings, plus extras like tuition and possibly even Lotus car hire.

Comments and suggestions welcomed

Cheers
Rob

Cheers, Damon

Damon (btw haven’t fitted the alloys yet, tyreless just checking the centres and offsets) but keep me imformed please. I hardly use Seloc. Tar mate

Cheers, Damon

Rob the second track I ever drove the Exige on was the 'Ring … you have to do it

My days were closed and well organised, but I did experience a public day and there is no way I would ever do that again for all the reasons you describe …

I felt the place really flowed if you were sensible and didnt think you knew it after two laps…

Good stuff Damon, at about 3’02’’ is the place I will forever call ‘fatcat armco’…

[image]http://images111.fotki.com/v751/photos/5/537502/4156163/IMG_5775-vi.jpg[/image]

In that picture you can hardly see the joins… apparantly the guy who bought my car has sold it on… I can post with confidence now.

Unless it’s a proper UK organised trackday, I’m too wimpish to drive it

Seen too many videos of “incidents” eg exiting blind corners when someone is stranded in the middle of the road, really slow moving vehicles not realising quicker things are rapidly approaching etc etc. I’d be a chicane too for lord knows how many laps, until I started to get the hang of the place. Also, the lack of insurance cover would concern me on an “open day”.

Sad but true

It is a real shame as I think driving the Ring has to be one of those ‘things to do before you die’
Now that I have read further into some of the horror stories, that is a very good point!

Perhaps we should put a very wide and slow truck driven by ‘Captain Slow’ behind us to bring up the rear!

So, I wonder how Spa compares on the ‘muppet’ scale?

imho Spa is tops, apart from my coming together at the 'ring it really holds no appeal for me, on busy days it’s just way too much (outside as well as on the track, opps I mean ‘road’ itelf).

I think my thoughts may be in the minority, so don’t let me put anyone off.

I’m registered for the Seloc 'Ring track day so am really hoping it comes together.

I went on a public day a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the experience, but decided if I was going to go back, it would have to be on a proper track day.

I agree that as a car enthusiast, driving the Nurburgring is a ‘must-do’ experience, but public days are too dangerous!

Insurance will always be an issue on either open or closed days, as it now seems that it is virtually impossible to get insurance for the 'Ring any more

Neal.

The ring is one of the ultimate experiences in any car, i went on a public open day and it was fine.

IMO the Ring should NOT be treated as a track day but as a fast road experience. There are no real run off areas, every corner looks the same and the road surface changes every 50 feet. Even after 70+ laps drivers are still trying to learn the circuit and this is how the accidents happen. You should approach with the same respect as you would drive a beautiful B road through Wales/Monte Cralo driving fast but only within the limits of not knowing the next corner - this way your car lives to tell the tale. The circuit is also very kind on brakes, tyres and fuel !!

You will overtake a few cars but also be overtaken by cars that would never pass an exige on any normal track day !!!

ITS AN ABSOLUTE MUST…one of our party learnt a lot of the circuit on the Play Station ( and thats not a joke) it really helped him as he was seriously disadvantaged as he was driving a Porsche !!!

it really helped him as he was seriously disadvantaged as he was driving a Porsche !!!

I’m not sure how to take that