Fuel Steroids

Hi People,
Do any of you guys put any fuel additives in to increase octane level or is it a waste of time ? Just thought it may suite our engines and my boss gave me a load that he pumps into his Jensen Intercepter.
Regards.

Jay

Most of us run on Optimax. Don’t use ordinary 95Ron fuel (unless you have an Emerald ECU mapped accordingly), stick to Optimax or Super Unleaded. You may squeeze a couple more bhp by adding some Octane Booster (Millers is good stuff).

Perhaps your boss is using an additive because the engine was designed to run on leaded fuel?

I agree with Pesky and have found BP Ultimate to very good -but I think the quality of the “super” unleaded is variable depending on how fast its turned over at each station - the worst I had was a Bedford Autodrome …

Anyhow there will be posts now about the fact the “K” does not have a knock sensor and how it cant make good use of higher octane blah blah …

However just consider that as it doesnt have a knock sensor it cant adjust for poor quality fuel etc and being a (relative ) tuned unit I think the higher octane / better quality fuels help to avoid problems.

One thing I found was pinking on low revs with std unleaded and certain supers, this goes away with Optimax etc

Why take any risks ?

Andy,

Totally agree, since you suggested trying the BP by you Im always there.

I definately prefer Ultimate though. Never seems to run very well on optimax from the garages by me. Think I must be the only one who ever uses it!

At least I know with BP by you, at least 2 cars use it!

Hi jay,

Over here in good old SA we have all of 93 octane at the pumps, and we race with 102.6 octane which is equivalent to the uk pump gas and i can vouch for the fact that the car is much happier on the 102 octane, however mapping for higher or lower octane fuel is important.

As an aside in my S4 i use toluene, roughly 6kg’s per 60 litres, which in effect gives me 97 octane and the car is far happier. It is a very cost effective compared to octane boosters, and very much more effective.

It cost’s +/- R 8 per tank for toluene and +/- R60 for octane booster in a bottle.

102.6 octane which is equivalent to the uk pump gas

Not here. Our normal is 95 and Super is 97. BP Ultimate is apparently 97 with other ‘stuff’ which make practically make it higher. Shell Optimax is 95 with similar bits which pushes it up. In Germany thay have Shell V Power which is nearly 100 and I think 100 is pretty normal in Japan too.

Ian

In japan, their standard furl IIRC is 95 but their Super is 100 RON…

But the other point is the hotter countries need higher octane to prevent det in the much higher ambient temp IYSWIM.

In japan, their standard furl IIRC is 95 but their Super is 100 RON…

But the other point is the hotter countries need higher octane to prevent det in the much higher ambient temp IYSWIM.

Bit like now in Europe then - 38 degree in Frankfurt on Thursday

Bit like now in Europe then - 38 degree in Frankfurt on Thursday

Hence why Europe’s Super unleaded is all pretty much 98 RON, generally higher ambient temperatures

There was always comment that BP’s [lower octane than Optimax] Super had a higher calorific value than Optimax therefore more power as a bigger bang IYSWIM… Tho’ possibly more prone to Det.