Fuel consumption???

Right, I think I’ve finally managed to fix my fuel sender! Huzzah!

But it read differently when the engine is running as opposed to when it’s not… Now I think it may be because there’s more resistance blah blah when the pump is always on (ie. engine running) but not too sure…

So how much does you fuel level read when you’ve done about 100 mile? Standrd VHPD with an Emerald running the show, no IACV so a little richer at idle but otherwise nothing else… Mine is reading 25L, but wioth the engine off it reads about 21L.

Any ideas apprecaited

you have an earth problem…

are you sure you connected everything back up nice and tight ?

Yep, everyting nice and toight (loike a tiger!!!)

But Sinclaires rewired my extension harness and some fo the wires are getting VERY hot when it’s running, I’m thinking of trying to rewires this again but properly with decent wire

But just curious as to the ignition on / engine running discrepancy

I think if it was an earth problem I’d get the stack temp reading going funny plus surely it’d make no difference if the engine was running or not???

RL

what wiring extension ??

anyway, if its getting hot and the load hasn’t changed then it can only be highresistance due to poor connections and/or bad earthing.

also remember with the engine running the fuel pump is also running - that’s a motor and will sink current, introduce inductive coupling etc etc and if anything in its cct isn’t connected properly then the resistance path could change.

Why would the water temperature guage change if you had a connection problem with your fuel pump/sender etc ??

There’s a harness that goes from the main loom that runs between the seats, goes into the fuel tank area and to the pump, so is a “jump lead harness” or something.

What you saying is exactly what I’m thinking, just you’ve managed to describe it much better So I’ve just ordered some connectors from RS components and will rewires the whole lot, hopefully a bit better

The reason I mentioned the water temp with a bad chassis earth the temp goes up when you trun on your lights, and the same when you trun on your wipers / anything electrical, so as none of that is happening I know my chassis earth is OK

While i had the fuel pump out i thought i would be clever this morning and calibrate my new dash fuel reading with the sender unit out, to save me emptying the tank and refilling it. Well the sender is so sensitive and horribly erratic, that i would set value at 0 and then 100 percent, would get some readings between but very sensitive and it would read 100 full from about where 60 % should be.

I checked all the earth points on the weekend, when it comes back on wednesday i will give it another go with the engine running and see if it gives different values. But any shaking on the float would give strange readings so it might just be the sender unit being itself .

Cool, thanks Jason! At least it’s reading something now tho’ which is better than reading “FULL” the whole time

Yep i also have the 100% reading all the time, will let you know i get on, it reads 0-100% out of the tank when i move it by hand, but as soon as i put it in it reads 100% .

OK, That’s exactly what I wa getting. what I found:

The two little hex bolts that are the stop start contacts were loose, I’ve tightened them right up.

And the spring bit on the sender arm wasn’t making contact all the way along the strip so with a bit of gentle bending to make it stays firmly against the strip and so far so good… We shall see but it’s better than it’s ever been!

The reason I mentioned the water temp with a bad chassis earth the temp goes up when you trun on your lights, and the same when you trun on your wipers / anything electrical, so as none of that is happening I know my chassis earth is OK

yes but… no but… yes but… i wasnae talking about the chassis earth - i was meaning the earth reference connections associated with the fuel sender/pump etc etc… ya dobber…

but anyway, sounds like it mght be your sender that’s dodgy from reading Jason’s post

Well maybe not after all!

I’ve just com in after a night of some ever so spirited driving around mid essex with a biker pal and a mate who knows the roads like the back of his hand!

I’ve done about 200 miles and… Level is reading refill

So so far so good