Front wheel arch liners

Had a bit more of a chance to look round the car this evening, to see how it stood up to the weekends exploits at Donington, and I notice that I’ve worn holes in the front wheel arch liners.

There are holes immediately behind the lights on both sides, and on the drivers side there is a hole at the top immediately above the wheel.

Given its a clockwise circuit I was surprised to see the majority of the wear on the drivers side.

The car has been dropped to 120mm on Ohlins, and I was running it with road settings at the weekend. Looks like its been too soft for that ride height.

Any thoughts? Anyone else had this problem?

I’ll definitely take the time to adjust the dampers before the next day. Not sure whether to go for an adjustable ARB or not.

Definatly worth the bother to adjust them, they make a world of difference

I get slight rub on full lock so would think I would get the sam prob if I left the settings on road.

ARB does give you another thing to adjust - I have just made mine a little softer to get rid of a little undesteer.

The only thing you can adjust with the Ohlins is low speed bump and rebound damping. That is the way the shock compresses or extends under sudden changes, ie how well it follows the road changes.

What you want to adjust is actually how much the car leans with side loads, so you’re looking into harder springs.

Nor surprised you find it on the right, Craner curves give you some strong cornering loads.

What sort of spring rates do you have now?

What you want to adjust is actually how much the car leans with side loads, so you’re looking into harder springs.

Nor surprised you find it on the right, Craner curves give you some strong cornering loads.

What sort of spring rates do you have now?

Wouldn’t a stiffer bar reduce the roll, without needing to uprate the springs?

To be honest I’ve no idea on the spring rates. These are the standard cup or 240R items, not the Plans GT ones Jamie has.

Anyone with the 240 or a cup car better informed than me?

Wouldn’t a stiffer bar reduce the roll, without needing to uprate the springs?

Slightly but it’ll also provoke other side effects like understeer and some other things that I don’t know (hven’t experimented that much with the ARB).
This because it’s only in the front, you don’t have an ARB in the back, and afaik most of the roll comes from the back.

Woule be good to have an idea of your spring rates, stock and 240R versions.

I just checked the Lotus Sport book that came with my 240R and spring rates are…

Front 325 lbs/in
Rear 425 lbs/ins

Ride hieght for the Ohlins and these spring rates is recommened to be 120mm front and rear.

Hope this helps? I don’t get any rub with these settings and the ARB in the 2nd hardest setting. Reducing the understeer you add with the arb can be countered by softerning the rear.

Found the info I have as well and those spring rates are definitely right, for the S2 Exige and 111R

As an aside they are 100lbs/in more, front and rear, than you would get if you specified an Ohlins kit for an S2 Elise with the K Series.

Reducing the understeer you add with the arb can be countered by softerning the rear.

Would that not have the oposite effect? I would soften front bump to reduce understeer.
By making the ARB harder you can reduce understeer at turn-in.
By making the ARB softer you can reduce understeer on corner exit.

That’s what I’ve been doing and it works for me, as recommended by Lotus Sport when I spoke to them about setup on the 240R… I can scan the cheat sheet they gave me on Ohlins setup on the 240R tomorrow and get it posted if you are interested?

interstingly I think I need to check the set up on mine…I didn’t give me the confidence I was expecting at high speeds on the motorway…thought i was going to take off!..feels ok on a’s and b’s but I’m thinking its understeering? won’t really know until I track it.

how easy quick is it to adjust at the track?