Front spliter

Hi

Novice question , but how easy is it to remove the front spliter. Is it just a case of removing all the front alan nuts? or is there a few others that need removing eg wheel archs etc. Thanks

Alan nuts?
They’re more like button head Allen bolts.
You have to remove all of them and the two bolts inside each wheel arch, also the 5 (6?) hex head bolts under the splitter, close to the undertray.

It’s all easy, except if the button head bolts have been peppered with road grit and the allen key doesn’t want to go in.
Also the ones in the wheel arch are a b1tch if you’ve never removed them, as they’re bound to be rusty. Have an angle grinder at hand to file the head and replace those with alloy bolts to avoid future rust problems.

Thanks mate, what what you sugest if one of those front shinny button head allan bolt has been warn so much that the alan key just turns?? I have not done this buy the way. would be hard to grind this off

What I did was to swear a lot, and used a slightly bigger allen key, just slightly (imperial size) and slowly hammered it in place, with a very small continuous tapping.

After a while it had lodged itself in the hole and made a new shape so the bolt could be moved.
It would slip at times, but hopefully it was far out enough so I could grab it with a small mole grip pliers.

Needless to say, I put a new set on.
And have a few extra bolts in the case one starts misbehaving again.

Other way would be to get a dremel or the like and (carefully) cut a slot in the bolt head then use a flat-blade screwdriver.

Thanks Guys, hopin this wont be to much of a pain to do, shouldn’t think it will be. I think it may be time consuming tho

When I bolt anything up that I,ve had off,I always put copperslip on all bolt threads-works a treat for future removal-wheel nuts and spigots as well.

When I bolt anything up that I,ve had off,I always put copperslip on all bolt threads-works a treat for future removal-wheel nuts and spigots as well.

me 2 mate, that stuff is great

The button head screws only have a shallow hex socket and can easily be damaged when removing them. You may be able to replace them with caphead screws, which have a deeper hex.