Front number plate location (size issues)

Guys,
I was out on an MLOC run through Derbyshire today (great bunch, good trip) but was stopped by the Law because of the number plate size on the front of my car is too small. He was a decent enough chap and informed me that it was illegal to have a 3/4 size plate, informed me that it would incur a �60 fine if I was ‘caught’ which is enough of a reason for me to get it changed from the previous owners preference.

I believe I have 2 options and they are an adhesive plate on the front of the clam above the Lotus badge or a regular plastic plate attached to the number plate plinth. I’m worried about restricting airflow to the rad and the oil cooler, so wonder if the plastic plate will be ok??

Where have you got yours?!?

Kurt

Kurt - the plastic plate attached to the number plate plinth is the OEM design solution and absolutely OK in terms of cooling.

You can set the lower edge height slightly lower than the underside of the splitter to give a bigger frontal area to the rad intake and also advance warning of grounding. A second option would be to buy a shorter reg number and then you can cut it to length, increase rad intake area and still be legal.

I have read that putting an adhesive plate on the front of the clam would be illegal, although I don’t have the source document to back that up.

Mine is standard size on the OEM plinth. As both posts above, I think the adhesive plates are illegal as they have to be approximately vertical:

id imagine if you had the legal size lettering, but just cut the plate down at the sides it would be ok…ive always done this and never been pulled for it…

ive got mates with the plates stuck onto the bonnet who havent been stopped, but i was lead to believe it wasnt legal…safest bet would be in the normal place, legal font but cut down at the sides…

think it was just an excuse to ogle the car…good to meet you today.im impressed you didnt wash the car when you got back…

From what I have gathered at MOT time it all depends on when your Exige was registered.If it was before April 2001 you can have a small plate so long as all numbers and spacing is correct.After that you have to have a full size plate.This is what I was told and it could be a load of bust!

[quote=tlracer]Mine is standard size on the OEM plinth. As both posts above, I think the adhesive plates are illegal as they have to be approximately vertical:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/contents/made[/quote]

Nice link, extract states:

“(3) This paragraph requires each plate to be fixed�
(a)in a vertical position or, where that is not possible, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable,”

legal?

[quote=scatty]

think it was just an excuse to ogle the car…good to meet you today.im impressed you didnt wash the car when you got back… [/quote]

Likewise Scatty, I enjoyed our chat. Car is all shiny again now and tucked away ( and get some seats sorted, MSAR have harness slots for std seats I think).

I’ve ordered a full size legal plate now, so hopefully that’ll keep everyone happy.

[quote=Elise111S]Guys,
I was out on an MLOC run through Derbyshire today (great bunch, good trip) but was stopped by the Law because of the number plate size on the front of my car is too small. He was a decent enough chap and informed me that it was illegal to have a 3/4 size plate, informed me that it would incur a �60 fine if I was ‘caught’ which is enough of a reason for me to get it changed from the previous owners preference.

I believe I have 2 options and they are an adhesive plate on the front of the clam above the Lotus badge or a regular plastic plate attached to the number plate plinth. I’m worried about restricting airflow to the rad and the oil cooler, so wonder if the plastic plate will be ok??

Where have you got yours?!?

Kurt [/quote]

Plenty or room on the front , on the number plate plinth , for a full sized number plate. Fitting small plates , strange letter placing will ALWAYS get you pulled.

That said I have a personalised plates , with the same letters , on three cars, one of the three letters has an i in it , on which I got the maker to ’ dot the i " and I’ve only been stopped once in 15 years.

Full size legal plate now fitted. When I say legal, it’s the 5 characters with legal spacing and a border, BUT NO postcode or other scribble! As it’s a MY2000 car, is this legal? To be honest it looks a big big after the 3/4 size plate and the white sections each side of the digits are positively HUUUUGGEE!!!

(If I knew how to post images, I’d post one, when I’ve removed the clamps)

I cut mine down to the same width as the plinth, also shaved about 10mm off top and bottom. Correct size characters just smaller b/ground, same on the back.
passed MOT ok and never had a plod enquire, mind you it is a 5 character number.
Still plenty of xx EXG nos. for sale. Paid �200 for mine 3 years ago

Mine is pretty small, albeit not 3/4 size, carrying the number X1GEJ. So only a few letters which helps but never been stopped. But when you see some of these ludicrous spacings/sizes on plates, I don’t think we should be terribly bothered.
I managed to crack one side of it when parking so cut it back and smoothed edges so it’s even smaller. None of this EU bollocks, front or rear.

[quote=Elise111S]Full size legal plate now fitted. When I say legal, it’s the 5 characters with legal spacing and a border, BUT NO postcode or other scribble! As it’s a MY2000 car, is this legal? To be honest it looks a big big after the 3/4 size plate and the white sections each side of the digits are positively HUUUUGGEE!!!

(If I knew how to post images, I’d post one, when I’ve removed the clamps) [/quote]

In short , YES

Having to choose plates over here in OZ I think UK government is missing a huge opportunity for extra income … and small front plates … check out the following :sunglasses:

OZ number plates

[quote=Podger][quote=Elise111S]Full size legal plate now fitted. When I say legal, it’s the 5 characters with legal spacing and a border, BUT NO postcode or other scribble! As it’s a MY2000 car, is this legal? To be honest it looks a big big after the 3/4 size plate and the white sections each side of the digits are positively HUUUUGGEE!!!

(If I knew how to post images, I’d post one, when I’ve removed the clamps) [/quote]

In short , YES [/quote]

Are you sure = I thought postcode gubbins was now mandatory…

AndyD,

The UK government regularly rape the motorist and then squander our money, so no more suggestions like that please!

Steve,

That’s what I was thinking, but I’m lead to believe there was a cut off point (2001 ish??).

Cheers

Kurt

Post code mandatory ??? I hope not

[quote=Podger][quote=stevegreen][quote=Podger][quote=Elise111S]Full size legal plate now fitted. When I say legal, it’s the 5 characters with legal spacing and a border, BUT NO postcode or other scribble! As it’s a MY2000 car, is this legal? To be honest it looks a big big after the 3/4 size plate and the white sections each side of the digits are positively HUUUUGGEE!!!

In short , YES [/quote]

Are you sure = I thought postcode gubbins was now mandatory… [/quote] [/quote]

Post code mandatory ??? I hope not

Postcode - of the plate’s maker, not the car’s owner.

Mine, with full size dutch license plate. Should be about the same size as UK plates I guess (Isn’t it all EU regulated now anyway). Its on top of the now installed splitter.

[quote=AndyD]Having to choose plates over here in OZ I think UK government is missing a huge opportunity for extra income … and small front plates … check out the following :sunglasses:

OZ number plates [/quote]

Remember driving around New Zealand and wondering about the number plates, you can anything you want that fits and isn’t rude. Think the best one I saw was on a massive 4x4 truck that did off road experiences - AARGH