Front bearing advise

I started my B service today and the front hubs are very notchey when they are rotated. There is no end play but on a Lotus Elan (1970s) I would definitely change the bearings, however the Exige is a different set up.

Is this notchey feel usual as they are pre loaded or should I replace them?

If I do need to replace them has anyone got experience of the front bearings from Elise Parts?

Note the disks are off at them moment (my dad is skimming them for me)so this is just the hub I can feel.

I need to know soon as I am off next week and my wife isn’t so I can use the oven to heat the hubs up :whistle:

If notchy, I’d change them… they should rotate smoothly if the bearing’s in good order :slight_smile:

I used the bearings form Eliseparts, they’re the genuine, good ones… steer clear of any of the cheaper ones on Ebay as they can be rubbish (I’ve heard).

Yep if there’s any resistance to rotation definite replacement - funny its when discs are off that you can feel this.

Agree with Esprit - buy bearings from a reputable source, there’s some iffy stuff out there.

Have you access to a press? make sure you support inner bearing when pressing the stub flange back in :slight_smile:

I have a press so should not be an issue, I will get them from elise parts. I found the Timikin part number on SELOC but I cant get them much chaeaper than Elise parts.

Just finished the service, The front bearings were shot, very strange as ther was no play and as you say Simon this was only evident when the Disks were off. The job was quite easy, the only difficult thing is keeping the kids from telling mum that the freezer and oven were full of hubs, bearings and uprights!!!

thanks both for your advice.

[quote=lotus_fatboyii]… the only difficult thing is keeping the kids from telling mum that the freezer and oven were full of hubs, bearings and uprights!!!

thanks both for your advice. [/quote]

He He - how true. I once got caught boiling my pistons in her big saucepan (I couldn’t get the gudgeon pins out) which didn’t go down very well at all… :crazy: