Fri 23rd July - 1st Lotus driver training day

I’ll aim for about 8am. That work?

Anybody know about local Optimax/Ultimate?

Ian

I think … both BP and Shell on the A414 towards Harlow from Junction 7 M11 island. Opposite direction to North Wield

BTW - any problem if a very important client of mine drops in to watch a bit … ?

That’s the place. I will aim to be there about 7:30ish hmmm I am sure you will enjoy that if you have not gotten in until about midnight the night before! ‘Olympic Breakfast’ me up

BTW - any problem if a very important client of mine drops in to watch a bit … ?

Of course not (unless he laughs at our driving!).

Ian

No worries, let us know if you want us to ‘big you up’ in front of your client

See you at 7:30-8:00ish for breakfast

Doubt I will be there now … missed my flight and the next one ( 280 quid later ) is now delayed until 23:00 - maybe cancelled but not sure yet sir … Bloody tossers KLM

If anyone is free and fill the place call me 07785 337873 - otherwise I’ll be there late … possibly …

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Apparently you don’t need a helmet if that helps save time(?!).

Ian

Top day!! Beautiful weather, the ever capable and entertaining Mr Walsh, and 4xExigers.

AndyD even made it, and as a thankyou I nearly catapulted him through the windscreen of my car during a pax lap Note to self : remember when trying to master the mysterious art of left foot braking that when changing up the clutch if a more effective pedal choice than the brake

Cheers chaps.

Look forward to seeing some pics Ian!

Yeah I made it, and glad I did - great company, great day

Thanks for letting “little” Joe have his run with Mr Walsh -I think it helped my cause

YEP! An excellent day! Fun and educational (if you can call that amount of destroyed rubber education!?).

A pics of the four cars - click

Thanks for a go with your Nitrons AndyD (I like). But as you can see they were definately set on the ‘loose’ side (how fun) - click

If you stop by Exiges.com Andy, good luck for Brands on Sunday (SELOC BWM challenge) and I hope the ankle gets better soon (mini Moto bikers are dangerous!).

Ian

Lovely picture of 4 Exiges - is’nt that a Grob 109 overhead??
However I do prefer the DG Flugzeugbau 500MB or single seat DG 808B. (true before anyone gets silly!!)
I must stop wearing anoraks!

Come on then folks - what happened?

How did the day go?

I am interested in the teaching methods and how you came to explore the limits…

great day out

Lots still to learn and i’m sure more piccies to be posted -though I suspect not too many of the early morning high speed turns … very entertaining… lets leave it at that…

I am interested in the teaching methods and how you came to explore the limits…

Mike, the format of the day was generally Mr Walsh swapping around between cars and activities. Walshy always there to give advice as to what to try next and give meaningful guidance aboout the mechanics of what is going on with our generally heavy handed inputs!!

We all started with ‘The High Speed Bend’. Accelerate to varying speeds down the access road and then turn-in left onto the runway without crossing the gutter down the middle. Lots of spins, and then post-mortem each run from Andy as to the cause. Managed about 85mph in the end.

Then some more practice round the cones trying to appreciate the subtlety of trail-braking, but generally ending up over-cooking it in a cloud of expensive smelling AO48 gas!!! My left foot is at the moment a very blunt tool!!

Then onto the circuit that gets mapped out with some cones. Too many new things in my head to be very effective and I was generally very ragged. High point had to be with AndyD as passenger, flat-out on the straight changing up to third, my left foot was still covering the brake and yup you guessed it I stamped on it instead of the clutch…ooops Other high point was the teenager (son of Andy’s client) who emerged pale after a hot lap with Walshy, who as he got in to Andy’s car said to Andy ‘Ok to start with a J-Turn’??? That kinda set the scene for the ride!!

Good day recommend it to anyone,…especially in conjunction with 3 other Exiges

Yeah - I think the company has to pay for 1mm of A039

For me Mr Walsh confirmed my deepest, inner worries about oversteer ( being a FWD person all my life ) so it was practise of setting up to create a spin and get out of it …
ok try and get out of it …

Left foot braking was also useful and finding out just how little input you need steering with that technique - which takes hours of practise - I will be back to keep trying …

The DL1 logged some turns, spins and circuit laps, you can see how Mr Walsh gets the times from the traces - intersting to see the different lines