Fitting an Exige tailgate stay kit

Has anyone tried to fit one of these? I have a genuine Lotus kit which has typically vague instuctions and no diagram - I think that the main bracket must be mounted under the drain channel, but I can’t work out how to position the the bit of bent wire (stay). Please help - I want to throw away the lump of wood!!!

Howie

If you can, return the kit to where you bought it & get your money back - sorry, to say it, but they are crap IIRC they cost about �40, so if you can’t get the cash back, go for an exchange of goods.

Howie, I bought one of these - even the local dealer could not work it out, so it is in the garage unused.

What is that thing you’re talking about??

Howie

Bamboo rules - OK

I have always found using the wife’s head as the most inexpensive tailgate stay…(obviously still connected to her body) !!

3ft length of dowel from B&Q kept in the boot, cost �1.

Dave

You could always try these, like Russ, Bruno & myself

Piccie

You could always try these, like Russ, Bruno & myself

Piccie >

mmmm… downforce…

mmmm… downforce…

Actually they only open when the car spins and goes backwards at high speed, just like the similar ones on NASCAR !!!

mmmm… downforce…

mmmm… beer

Thanks everyone for your advice & suggestions (some of them!) Yes, the kit is crap - the pre-drilled holes in the engine bay gutter are nowhere near the spacing of the bracket & I’m not about to drill more holes alongside them. The rivets also don’t fit the second bracket - who made this? Mr Magoo? The kits going back & I plan to recover all the �53 I was charged. I’ve found a very nice lump of wood that’ll do until I explore the gas strut idea from Mr Pesky and Roxteddy. Cheers for the feedback

Howie

If you can, return the kit to where you bought it & get your money back - sorry, to say it, but they are crap IIRC they cost about �40, so if you can’t get the cash back, go for an exchange of goods.

Not quite in the same league as the crankshaft saga, but watch it Pesky

mmmm… downforce…

Actually they only open when the car spins and goes backwards at high speed, just like the similar ones on NASCAR !!!

mmmm… parachutes…