FAO Russ T

Hi Russ,

Quick question mate. from the Donnington pictures it looks like you run some kind of strip around the bottom of your front spoiler. If yours rubs the ground under hard cornering and brakeing like mine does, I’m guessing this strip is to protect the splitter a bit? Could you let me know what this protective strip is made of and how it was made and any other relevant details please. I need to make something for mine, before it wears all the way through.

Well done at Donno last weekend by the way!!

Sean…

Could you let me know what this protective strip is made of and how it was made and any other relevant details please

Sorry Mate, it’s top secret & subject to a non-disclosure agreement

What you want is that very hard wood that splitters are often made of… can’t remember its name but I’m sure somebody will.

On Russ’ car it looks like trusty old Gaffa tape .

Sean if you like, i have had a carbon strip that is moulded around the lip, almost exactly as high as the top secret stuff, of my new splitter for exactly that purpose. Didn’t have to be carbon but i wanted something that would look good without needing paint that would just scrape off, and use the existing undertray holes to be held in place. That way i just make one of those up every time instead of painting the splitter.

Post some pics in a day or 2 for you. Also to stop the bolts wearing away you can get some titanium items, i got from RS components, expensive so just the ones that wear away. Plus sparks out the front and flames out the back could i ask for more

Okay Sean, after getting your threatening phone call (yes I am a coward), I now relent & let you into the secret:

[image]http://www.silverprint.co.uk/pics/Gaffa-Tape.jpg[/image]

Sean if you like, i have had a carbon strip that is moulded around the lip, almost exactly as high as the top secret stuff, of my new splitter for exactly that purpose. Didn’t have to be carbon but i wanted something that would look good without needing paint that would just scrape off, and use the existing undertray holes to be held in place. That way i just make one of those up every time instead of painting the splitter.

Post some pics in a day or 2 for you. Also to stop the bolts wearing away you can get some titanium items, i got from RS components, expensive so just the ones that wear away. Plus sparks out the front and flames out the back could i ask for more

I wouldn’t have said carbon is the best matrial for this, you will leave shards of sharp CF around the track just waiting to give somebody a puncture.

I would guess some nylon sheet would do this job better, a quick trip to Amari - 0121 567 3400 should get you some off cuts.

What about the Edwards splitter, isn’t that made od Nylon?

Okay Sean, after getting your threatening phone call (yes I am a coward), I now relent & let you into the secret:

[image]> http://www.silverprint.co.uk/pics/Gaffa-Tape.jpg> [/image]

This is special,lightweight tape though.

Good idea Uldis - been so long since I saw my car I forgot about that

Good idea Uldis - been so long since I saw my car I forgot about that

I take it that is because you are in the flatlands and the car is back in blighty and not because the car is sick?

Hey Ben

Sort of I’ve been travelling the globe a bit …

but yeah car is fine thanks … at least it was

cheers guys for all of your comments.

I have made a bit of a fix for Croft on Sunday, basically the ally floor I made sat inside the splitter, I have simply unbolted it and rebolted it to the underside, so it gets the bolts and then the ally floor before the splitter.

The bolts and ally cost me nowt, unfortunatly I can’t say the same for the bloody spolier!!

Sean…

See you at Croft wi’ mi’ new discs on!

Cool!!

I will have your hoses.

Sean…