Exiges that hardly move

My S2 has done 250 miles this year and my S1 just under 1000. It does feel like a tragic waste. I do keep toying with selling one or both but my 16 year old son (who now prefers Lotus to Porsche) says I should keep them as a new owner will probably just keep them under covers in their garage. Highlight of the year was using the S1 to give dream rides at a children’s hospice, probably worth keeping just for that. The S2 just sits there and looks immaculate with its resprayed front clam and sills and new sill pads. It’s all Ben’s and Jonny’s fault for promoting the craze to Caterhams and my BaT Caterham Academy has made them redundant.

They don’t really cost any money and I don’t need the space, so keeping is not a problem. I just like to have things that I use. I prefer a normal car for road use and the Caterham for the track (mainly as I can do arrive and drive, spares are cheap, and I would not care if it got damaged - it’s only a Caterham).

Massive 1st world problem!

Yeah, good post. I have a similar dilemma with my Evora, which has hardly turned a wheel in the last 18 months, albeit for a very different reason.

It is way to sentimental and important for me to consider parting with it, especially as I don’t need to financially and the memories it has provided. It’s a keeper.

You may well use your two more in better weather. Hang on to them and avoid any regrets :wink:

I’m in the same place, did 340 miles last year. When I had a caterham I used it more as I did track days, ive no intention of tracking the exige so I struggle to find excuses to put miles on it.

Don’t really need a car at all, but as you say they don’t really cost much so I’m happy to keep it and every time I drive it it’s a proper occasion.

Keep them, but use them more! I struggle to keep to my 5000 annual insurance limit in my gte.

Gav

Zero miles in precisely three years :smiley:

I do think that one day soon I will retire and that I can do a major rebuild on my S1, that would keep me busy, the thing is, it’s great just as it is, not perfect but nearly 17 years old so it needs a few spots and chips. It would be a bit tragic to give it a respray.

I also know I would never have the dedication to do a job like you have so it would not be perfect and loose its patina.

I really enjoyed using it for the hospice dream rides, makes you a bit tearful but makes them happy, worth it for that.

I would say keep it if there is no pressure to sell it. Well maybe get rid of the S2 as they aren’t as special :wink:

Last saw mine in September 2016; first year I’ve never driven a car I’ve owned.

Hardly surprising looking at the state of it!! :laughing:

I fully agree. Don’t do a respray even if the paint is not perfect. There is some magic about the cars being still original and once it is lost it is forever.
Even Jonny won’t be able to reproduce it. A restored car will always be less desirable than an original one showing some wear and patina.

I would say keep the car and enjoy to sort any mechanical issues once you’ve got the time.

You should have seen the lack of paint on my car Klaus, there really wasn’t much choice.

Fair enough, Jonny. The same with my car which has already been re-painted before and including two painted black ‘go-faster-stripes’. Often there is no choice and you need to repaint a car. I’ll need to repaint my car too in the future.
My point was to say that in those cases where the original paint is still good enough to preserve it you shoul keep it. Even if there are some signs of wear like scratches or stone chips you better keep it.

I’ve done about 3500 miles in 11 years…

I try to use mine at every opportunity even if it piles on the miles. Two European tours added 5,000 . . . but what miles they were :smiley:

Oh dear, I’m feeling sorry for those poor sad Exiges sitting in garages, just waiting to be used.
Bought my first new Lotus over 10 years ago, and it has just passed the 70,000 mile mark
:thumbup:

About 1000 this year, 1250 last year.
Only used for 6 months of the year.

I look at it like this… its an investment. I get 6 months of fun every year and its still going up in value.

I understand this dilemma but yeah folks use them on those special trips when you can.

This summer I did a section on the NC500 with my brother and deliberated over taking the Exige. So so glad I did. Such a memorable experience and one I intend to repeat next year !

Keith,
The money is better tied up in a car than in the bank currently and after looking I cannot find anything for similar money as a Lotus that retains a steady value.

I’ve managed 4000 miles since March and most the time I’m struggling to find a reason not to use it. There’s something special about even the most mundain of journeys in a Lotus.