Exige vs Elise

Since the Exige is faster in acceleration, yet the Exige is faster in corners. What are some other reasons why i should get the Exige over the Elise? I cant make up my mind

PS: im alot about performance

Since the Exige is faster in acceleration, yet the Exige is faster in corners. What are some other reasons why i should get the Exige over the Elise? I cant make up my mind

PS: im alot about performance

Are you talking about the S2 here? If so, I would go for the Elise for performance and uprate the suspension/tyres. The Exige body is wet-laid (kinky!) glass fibre and the Elise has the trick lightweight stuff which means the Elise is lighter.

Just out of interest why would Lotus change the way they make the body from elise to exige especially (as you say) the new wet laid glass fibre makes the exige heavier?

Just out of interest why would Lotus change the way they make the body from elise to exige especially (as you say) the new wet laid glass fibre makes the exige heavier?

Because the Exige is sold in smaller quatities and they can’t justify the cost of the tooling for the special Elise composite. It’s not all bad as the wet laid stuff is easier to repair.

exige s2 front and rear panels are made in france at the same factory that used to make s1 panels. The elise s2 panels (and exige s2 door panels, and sills, plus bonet and boot lid) are the thinner ones.

Ultimately the elise with the Exige wheels/tyres would be the best, but it wont have the downforce which is VERY apparent in the exige.

“but it wont have the downforce which is VERY apparent in the exige”

Oh here we go again…

Everyone knows that the Exige has loads of downforce and can even stick to the ceiling if you go fast enough…I think it’s just after you hear the sonic boom!

When driving the Elise and Exige back to back you can certainly tell the difference, so surely it is fair to say it is apparent. [Not so sure about ‘VERY’ for the S2 though]

Doesn’t the Elise have a touch of lift at a ton? Certainly feels like the front wheels loose a bit of feel at speed.

Ian

At the risk of sounding a smug git, the Exige is aimed squarely at the keen enthusiast who tends to know exactly what he wants. If you are not sure of the differences then it is probably not the car for you. I have just gone from an S2 Elise to an S2 Exige and I can tell you that they are substantially different to drive.

Mark

At the risk of sounding a smug git, the Exige is aimed squarely at the keen enthusiast who tends to know exactly what he wants. If you are not sure of the differences then it is probably not the car for you.

Seconded by another smug git

at the risk of BEING VERY CONTROVERSIAL

I test drove the yota S2 Exige when it first came out and compared with my old 111s I thought it was boring, in comparison, on the road!

Let me clarify.

Firstly it was a short 20 min crappy test drive and I thought the car was the best built lotus I have ever seen or been in. A truly fantastic thing which in Krypton (or whatever it’s called) green will probably end up on my drive one day…

It felt so long legged compared to the 111s it didn’t seem fun to drive at all on the roads I would normally be driving on.

Handling, build quality, blah blah fantastic

PERSONALLY FROM MY LIMITED EXPERIENCE

the S1 111s would be the better road car for me from an every day use point of view.

I bought the S1 Exige because it is so special to ME. I wanted one since I first saw one and don’t really care if it’s total pants compared to anything I just think it’s fantastic!

Hope this helps

I think the S2 Exige is aimed at people who may want to use it as their daily car (like me) and do a few track days in the process.

Whereas the S1 Exige is now a track day / race monster that is relatively cheap to modify.

Personally I know F’A’ about engines and gearboxes and wouldn’t even think of swapping what was originally in there for something else, whereas owners of S1 Exiges seem to be quite happy to treat it as a very good starting point i.e. the chassis, and then change everything…

P.S. I love both cars.

P.S. I love both cars.

So do I - despite my “occasional” jesting

well b*gger me - what was in the village when I came home tonight

A green S2 Exige…It must me a sign!!!

Mega

If you like the S2 after the S1 you must be going soft.
Air Con, electric windows , all that “modern stuff…” OK as a daily driver I suppose but not quite the same GRIN factor as the S1…never- the- less still THE enthusiast’s car… Yipeeeee have fun

calm down! I also run an S4 Elan Sprint so I know about raw and I like it (pervert)

If I had an S2 it would be as well as my S1!

Mind you 1973 and the Elan does have lecky windows - you might have apoint!!!

Just been to the borders this weekend and done 600miles

Mega!!!

They’re all bloody good cars that I’d take over anything else. So for me I cant be arsed with differences over S1/S2 elise/Exige…
When I see one ont he road as far as I’m concerned we’re all very like minded.

Still, actually I think Mark’s hit the nail squrely on the head.

The exige tends to be for people who know what they want it for, specificaly. The elise is a bit more general. Very pleased with my S2 exige.

Cant see leccy windows as a problem which hinders the grin factor though. Dont even think about them