Exige starts and Dies

hello everyone, i was wondering if anyone could help me out here. i recently took my exige to some small mechanic because i was having some little problem and i was far up north with no lotus dealer. he took it apart and made it work again, but now we have hit a problem. when i start the car it runs for 3 seconds and then dies off. its as if the pump is not working or something has not been plugged in thats stopping from giving fuel to the engine. can soemone give me and this fool some suggestions as to what it might be. is there a cut off switch somewhere or could the computer be preventing it form running since the battery died?
thanks for your help

Hmmm tricky. What did the guy do?

Does it die as soon as you touch the throttle? If so it could be the throttle position sensor

Did he mess with the throttle bodies? If so they could be out of adjustment or you could have an air leak

Did he mess with the idle speed control valve? If so could the plug have come off or be loose, or could you have an air leak

Can you explain a little better how the engine stops after three seconds, is it when revved, does it run OK for those three seconds??? The more little details you can give, the more help we will be able to offer.

Sean…

the guy messed around with the center console. the cars starts and turns off after three seconds on its own. as if the fuel pump isnt getting power. we checked all the wiring and everything is good. computer is fine aswell.

problem solved. thanks everyone for you help.
safety switch had to be pressed in, had no idea where it was.

Cool, we like easy ones!!

Cool, we like easy ones!!

Women, especially!

Couldn’t let ya down, Sean!

problem solved. thanks everyone for you help.
safety switch had to be pressed in, had no idea where it was.

Just out of interest does this need re-setting when you disconnect things? I thought it was just an inertial switch and needed a relatively large bump to trigger?

I thought it was just an inertial switch and needed a relatively large bump to trigger?

That’s correct Steve - safety measure to prevent petrol still being pumped around in the event of a crash, & increasing the risk of fire. They have been known to “trip” whilst on track, if the driver likes the kerbs! Most (if not all) the LOT race cars will have ditched the inertia switch, as they do of course have to b e equipped with a full electric cut-out system.

Rob

have not so fond memories of the gravel trap at Adenauer Forest (sp?) and an Elise not being able to re-start until i remembered this. Got the missus to take a quick photo whilst i fixed it and got a bollocking from the safety marshall who thought we had just stopped to take a photo!

Didn’t know it needed resetting on an electrical dis-connect though - just thought it was a mechanical switch…so wondered how it was triggered in a garage - was it dropped heavily off a jack?

Adenauer Forst by any chance ?

that will be the one…on busy days it always seem to have people sitting on the banks watching.