Exige S1

Hi All

Just joined and cannot tell you how pleased I am with my original exige S1 with only 4000 miles…

Drives like a true lotus should = fast road car with unbeatable handling!

It joins my long term 98 Elise which is in original immaculate condition and make a great pair when I open my double garage door on boring cold days… roll on the summer!

Best
Kevin Nye

What a pair :sunglasses:

Welcome, get some pics up :thumbup:

Thanks!

I’m as thick as a plank with social media…

How do I get the pictures from my phone to online?

Kevin

Using your mobile, just click the “Imgur” tab at the bottom of your post and upload the images from your phone.

Looking forward to seeing your pics :thumbup:

Welcome :+1:

Wonderful, looking forward to pics and updates :thumbup:

Welcome :slight_smile:

Wow that sound like the pair of cars most of us would love to own…

The car sounds great, looking forward to seeing some photos :sunglasses::+1:

Wow 4000 miles :open_mouth: looking forward to seeing some pictures of this :thumbup:

Here’s the pictures of my two S1s…

I cannot seem to send the pictures even after uploading Imgur and sending?

Thick as plank with technical just give me a trowel and drawings and I’m away!

Kevin Nye

Hi,

Press this button and wait for a few seconds after choosing photo library ( from your phone ) or browse on your PC.

:blush:

Hi All

Tried to send pictures of my S1 Elise and S1 exige from my phone numerous times unsuccessfully so if anyone knows a better way ?

A couple of questions which I’d like to know the answers for…

My early Elise is in great condition but one thing that lets it down slightly is the marks to the interior tub… a couple of scratches are quite noticeable ( the dealership scratched the tub when removing the seats many moons ago undertaking a seats out clean/detail ) but there is also smaller light surface scratches I’d like addressing?

Is there a compound/cleaner that works on anodised aluminium? What has anyone else used successfully to polish their aluminium interior tub?

The second is My exige S1 seemed a little underpowered when I first stretched its legs in collection compared to my long term S1 Elise ( I’d say less response in all lower Rev ranges and definitely slower to 30mph… then I took it to Dave Andrew’s and he adjusted the notoriously out timing and recommended and fitted an emerald ecu …fiddled with it until he was satisfied and then I collected it and straight away it was transformed into a more tractable machine ( it no longer had an all or nothing attitude like an old 70s Porsche turbo…)

Anyway my question is how do I know if it’s now 190 bhp or 177 or somewhere in between?

Thanks
Kevin

Good to hear you let DVA look at it - he built a 220bhp VHPD for me a few years back.

If Dave fitted an emerald ECU, did he remove the original? - the original ECU should be marked/labelled with felt tip as 190bhp.

Good to hear you have found those extra horses :grin:

Welcome,

Your ECU may have 190 written on it, my car is a 190 but has no writing. If it has a 190 upgrade one cam pulley will have two slots in it. Dave A is sure to have noticed and would advise. 190s have the resonators on the big inlet pipe removed. If you just have the carbon box and a long air pipe coming off it with no extra gubbins it could be a 190.

However, the S1 Exige is really not that much faster than a normal S1 at low revs and it’s at high revs where you get the extra power, you do have to thrash it.

Despite Dave’s recommendation I would not fit an emerald. It needs to be custom mapped and is a lot of work to get the compensation for things like lights, wipers, fans on or changed in weather. I had one and took it off.

Thanks for the advice… I will have a look at the old ecu which I have in the garage Dave boxed it along with the old cams he replaced with piper cams…and the airbox and filter have no gubbins so I’m presuming it’s 190 ( hoping! )

Dave A did remove some restriction around the air box/throttle which he said had never allowed the car to run full throttle?

The emerald ecu was the very latest custom exige S1 version and apparently all issues were resolved over the years of development and it now starts quick/runs much better ( used to sound like it was going to stall constantly ) it now has much better response and generally a vast improvement over standard ( and I’m an originality freak! but I was told the exige S1 was never quite set up right regarding timing and ecu it was rushed out to meet customer demand…)

Did anyone know the best polish for anodised aluminium ie cars interior sidewalls and floor?

Many thanks
Kevin

I’ve had a few scratches, probably caused by previous owner’s keys, since I bought it 13 years ago. I’ve never dared try to erase them so any advice on method would be appreciated. Can’t think why I haven’t asked on here before. :blush:

Other than a magic sponge which might clean the tub I haven’t heard of any way to remove scratches :confused:

Hi everyone

I recently found online a product which I’m optimistic will really polish the aluminium tub… Autosol Anodised Aluminium polish…

Weather is really bad this week so the cleaning will probably wait until a sunny day and will let everyone know if it’s worth the extra money!

Regarding the scratches to the aluminium entry sill on close inspection It appears I have two options 1: paint

option 2: extend sill protective pad about an inch to the cloth section ( this is were the scratches are ! ) I’m thinking of seeing if Allon white can be persuaded to bespoke this for me…

My blue hood on my S1 Elise is in fantastic condition because it’s rarely on the car and never been drenched in the rain as the cars always garaged… I’ve seen them on eBay in far inferior condition going for £400-500 and Allon white do a complete new hood for about £800 seems like my hood will be on eBay in the near future… anyone fancy giving me £500?

Thanks
Kevin