Exige S1 vs Exige S2 - Lap times

Hi All,

I’m interested to know how Exige S1 lap times compare with the Exige S2 … I’m guessing that the Exige S1 190 will lap faster than an Exige S2, simply due to weight and downforce, but it would be great if some hard numbers were available.

Any links?

Cheers,

NevB
Ardent Red Elise 111R
Exige wannabe [if only the S2 had some rear view]

we’ve not yet seen S2 at many track days… but i’m sure there will be much comment on this over the summer season

Now weve gone and done it Rox You know That it just a matter of time befor this all ends in tears m8 Did GK not beat the lotus track record in the S2 Exige I am sure he did And that was only using reverse gear I dont think there is much point in trying to find this out as depends on so many varibles i.e setup/track/driver and so on. But as an Exige S2 owner I would say the S1 Exige(190) would be quicker just because its more HARDCORE. Now when the SC S2 Exige comes along That will be a mighty car

Was he really only in reverse gear .

Thats very impressive .

ohh ohh…

Ok, they’re different cars (disclaimer out of the way there) but the evidence I’m aware of so far is:-

I believe Gavin’s time in the S2 was being compared to a std S1 Exige - ie. not 190, normal brakes, A039s (those last 2 worth a second a lap each apparently). Lotus had to at least say the newer car was better!

At Anglesey a race driver in an S2 (on his own) was overtaken (after 10 laps of learning the circuit) by a (relatively quick) S1 driver, with 2up, that knew the circuit well. Admittedly, having sat next to the racing driver on a moderately hot lap for him(!), this wouldn’t have been the case by the end of the day!

Conclusion - they’re both great cars! In the wet I think the S2, with it’s ABS that can modulate the grip individually for each wheel, would be quicker. In the dry I think the S1 has the most potential. Ultimately at this level of machinery I think it’s the driver that’ll make the most difference.

Ian

Ah but rember the S2 was in reverse gear

I think we will only get a true evaluation of the differences twixt the two is when a previous S1 owner sells and then buys an S2. Has a record of his lap times and conditions on a familiar circuit and then once familiar with the S2 can hit the track in similar conditions and compare the times.
How long will it be before tuning goodies, if they are not already, become available to boost the power and fine tune the handling of the S2? This is a topic that will be debated forever with + and - in both camps, as which was the best ever football team, rugby team, golfer etc. I’m just happy to, 80 days and counting, soon become part of the friendly gang of Exige owners.
Looking forward to trying some track days and lets hope they don’t go down the lines of the wedding reception S1’s on one side and the S2’s ont tuther. After all guy’s we still have that one common denominator, the EXIGE
I’ve seen this similar argument tear the community apart with my last car, making club run’s and weekend’s out a chore with all the bickering.
Johnniee coming soon

…best ever football team, rugby team, golfer etc…

That ones easy - Brazil (any year), NZ (any year that’s not a World Cup) & Jack Nicklaus.

After all guy’s we still have that one common denominator, the EXIGE
I’ve seen this similar argument tear the community apart with my last car, making club run’s and weekend’s out a chore with all the bickering.

I wouldn’t worry too much (other than colour, Honda conversions and chassis fixes! ), I think we’ve already proved we’re pretty mature on ‘issues’. Best web community I’ve come across.

The S2s are just going to have to live with being the little brothers!

Ian

I wouldn’t worry too much (other than colour, Honda conversions and chassis fixes! ), I think we’ve already proved we’re pretty mature on ‘issues’.

Okay, prehaps I’d better add soft-top S2s to that list!

Ian

Naaa, I’d go for Leigh RMI, Aspull 3rd XV n me

ROFLOL

from one hasbeen to another… very funny matey…