Exige MK2 Official Release

well screwed together too (anybody’s rear hatch fit like that?!

My rear hatch is not well screwed, come to think of it. it’s not screwed at all!

“I wonder if it really is as quick as the S1, like they say? Doesn’t look it on paper”

If you read the preview in EVO you’ll notice the quoted two second per lap of Hethel advantage is attributed to one second for the A048’s - which many of us already have on our S1’s - plus the revised suspension.

Oh and the not inconsiderable talents of the likes of Gavan Kershaw who, in all probability, could drive most family saloons quicker than many of us would pilot our Exiges around Hethel.

my rear hatch is delaminating or summat
Anywayz the MK2 does not look the real deal to me (the reason I bought a MK1 in the first place) and I can’t see it attracting the same buyers somehow. Maybe Lotus think they have to do this to sell more cars but in the long run I can’t see that working. I don’t think people who usually buy more luxury type sports cars will want to pay �29,000 (basic) for the Exige.I hope I’m wrong 'cos I want Lotus to do well but it seems a step backwards to me. I’m gonna have a test drive soon so I guess that’ll be the deciding factor but the pics do not INSPIRE me…

ditto

If you read the preview in EVO you’ll notice the quoted two second per lap of Hethel advantage is attributed to one second for the A048’s - which many of us already have on our S1’s - plus the revised suspension.

The other second was the brakes and with Pagids many of us have that too. Put Nitrons on and make the suspension on a par and we’re up!

Out of interest chaps, what does it cost to sort a car out with Nitrons in a road friendly/track manner? Add that to the free upgrade (as they’re the same price/less) for the 48s and say �500 for a set of Pagids and upgraded lines (less if you fit’em yourself. I wonder if the S2’s are braided?) and it makes a great case for a tweaked 2nd hand S1! Admittedly there wouldn’t be a manu warranty but it wouldn’t depreciate as quickly.

Ian

Has anyone compared the spec above with the 111R spec? Pesky ? IDG ?

What are the differences?

We know the engines are the same, so my main interest was the suspension and weight differences. My (not particularly taxing) research has shown:

Suspension:

111R spec - “Fully independent suspension utilising unequal length wishbones, Bilstein mono-tube gas damper, Eibach coaxial coil spring at each corner and front anti-roll bar.”

Exige S2 spec - “Fully independent [color:“blue”]sport[/color] suspension utilising unequal length wishbones, Bilstein mono-tube gas damper, Eibach coaxial coil spring at each corner and front anti-roll bar”

Weights:

111R = 860kgs (no options)
Exige S2 = 875kgs (no options)

So I think the answer is basically 15kg more weight, tyres, the word ‘sport’ (hopefully a little more than that!) and 40kgs (@100mph) of downforce. WOW! But I hope it answered your question (a bit).

Ian

cheers IDG

Is that actually ALL you can see?.. looks like we are right then – its an S2 coupe . (you know the tyres are A048’s as well)

Anyway, i have read/heard other bits n bobs about the suspension being ‘tweaked’ but i’d really like to know EXACTLY what that means. My guess is that its prolly slightly bigger numbers on spring and damper rates ? i wonder if they do any revisions to the ‘pick-up’ points and/or change castor/camber/toe around abit?

why don’t they fit adjustables? (Racing Dynamics or the like)

Is that actually ALL you can see?..

Well it wasn’t exactly extensive, so I’ll have another dig.

Ian

[/quote]

Well it wasn’t exactly extensive, so I’ll have another dig.

Ian [/quote]

Ian - is it worth the effort

Dedgood

HAd teh same problem with my rear hatch - I suspect its the same anyhow - the “blackout” is coming away from the Polycarbonate and thats in the area where the frame is bonded to it - yes ?

I spaoke to Lotus and they said it could be repaired, when I asked how … they admitted it couldnt be repaired

But they would give me 40% discount on a new one - yeah right at 1200 quid thats still a huge amount and they are still making money out of me

Answer is a second hand one ( thanks Russ T ) or a motorsport cover

• Box is the same
  • Chassis the same (no surprise there)
  • Steering the same (2.8 lock-to-lock)
  • Ratios the same
  • 0-60mph/0-100kph the same (@ 4.9/5.2secs)
  • 0-100mph Exige 0.2 slower @ 13.2 (presumably the downforce)
  • Top speed Exige slower 147mph (vs 150 for 111R)
  • Comsumption & Emissions the same
  • Weight base & track (front & rear) the same (a little surpirsed there)
  • Lenght Exige 12mm longer (@ 3797mm)
  • Width Exige 8mm wider (without mirrors), the same with (?)
  • Overhangs Exige bigger (front & rear)
  • Ground clearance the same (a bit surprised there too)
  • Weight distribution the same 38%/62% (what’s ours? That seems very tail happy)
  • Fuel tank the same
  • Luggage capacity the same (perhaps the most telling, given it’s even listed at all)

Hope that was of some interest.

Ian

Oh yeah, the Exige S2 price is �29,995 for the basic. What’s the 111R?

Ian

the “blackout” is coming away from the Polycarbonate

That’s exactly the problem Andy. It’s not too bad at the moment, I was at the Edwards boys the other week and they sort of explained what it was i.e. it’s gonna get worse over time…�1200 for a new one Lotus are taking the mick a bit there I recon. Anyone got one they don’t want?

Have you tried Super Glue? (plenty?)

I was quoted �27,995 for the 111R, �2k cheaer than te Exige.

Was also informed that upto �28/31k likley to be average price of a 111R and �33/34K for an Exige once options added.

What options? could’nt see anything that immediatley jumped up at me that did’nt add more weight.

Shin

forged wheels…only!

Now, I fully respect everyones opinion on the S2 Exige, but I would just like to chip in, that while there has been NO word that the S2 will be available in the USA, there has also been no definite word that it WONT be. So for us folks on the other side of the pond that have been longing for an exige we can license and drive on the road, the S2 is our only hope. I am aware of a few “off road use only” exige S1’s in the USA, but the nearest track to me is 3 hours away, and what fun is a highperformance sportscar that you cannot just hop in and take for a spin up the nearest mountain road.

Without a doubt, the S1 is better looking and upon initial review seems to be the better car, but I will surely buy a S2 if available in the USA. Unless anyone has experience with somehow getting an S1 exige in the USA that is road legal?? I’m open for suggestions!!

MEL

Cheers IDG

It certainly looks like they are pretty similar - we’ll need to get the details on any suspension mods.

• Width Exige 8mm wider (without mirrors), the same with (?)
  • Weight distribution the same 38%/62% (what’s ours? That seems very tail happy)

width will be the same with mirrors fitted for obvious reasons . take em off and the exige bodywork is 8mm wider.

I seem to remember ours is a bit worse Front/Rear weight distro at around 35/65. I think Uldis knows this? Anyone had their car on scales??

width will be the same with mirrors fitted for obvious reasons . take em off and the exige bodywork is 8mm wider.

Doh! Of course. I was thinking the whole car was 8mm wider rather than just the arches. Then again, if the track is the same the width is just cosmetic. Although I suppose it gives room to play with the S2 Exige more in a later spec (like the name deserves!).

I seem to remember ours is a bit worse Front/Rear weight distro at around 35/65.

Interesting. I believe the Toyota is a little heavier than the K, so I guess it’s all that heavy ABS stuff up front that’s improved the distribution.

Ian

mele, if I were over in the States I’d be well stoked about the possibility of getting the S2 Exige! I don’t think anybodies got an S1 Exige rpad legal there. Although it’s a shame to never get it near a track, you really can’t do it justice in the road. To be honest, the std US Elise would probably be more fun on roads than the Exige; even if it doesn’t quite look the part.

Ian