Exige ECU 190

hello

can somebody tell me if the following ecu can be used for the 190 upgrade (link). I’m not sure if it’s the right one because the lotus part number is different to the one of the manual.

klaus

I am not sure about that one, and knowing eBay well, the price is likely to climb, but I have one for sale that is definitely OK for the 190 upgrade, cos it came from my own Exige. My car was one of the early ones, built in 2000.

I have recently changed to an Emerald programmable ECU and was just getting round to selling the old one…

You interested ??

hello

sorry, I have seen your post to late and so I have sold it from ebay.

klaus

What must be dismounted to change the ECU which is located on cabin rear bulkhead? (seats, …)

cheers
klaus

You can get easily by reovin the passenger seat and sliding the driver one forward.
Then remove the 4 hooks/bolts and slide the whole cover out.

Easy (just did that today)

Uldis

Yes, it should be easy but I cannot remove the passenger seat because I cannot open the rear right (near the door) bolt of the seat . Wrong mechanic tool or wrong technique.

ok. seat now removed and ecu located .

klaus

Mike, you hav email

hello

can somebody help me.
Can I install the track ECU (from 190 kit) without other mods like “101 Degree Inlet Camshaft Pulley”???

Cheers
klaus

The quick answer to this is NO . I’m sure someone will answer with all the technical reasons why not, but I’m sure the 190 ECU is mapped for the 101 inlet camshaft pulley.

Dave

ok, then I won’t install it before the engine will be damaged. thx

Cheers
klaus

The Lotus pulley is just the standard one with an extra lobe machined in - you set it up with the standard marks at TDC - then you take out the inlet pulley dowell pin, turn it to the new lobe and reinsert the dowell pin - very hit and miss…

You really want to install vernier pulleys, so you can time the engine properly…

thanks for your description but I think that this isn’t a DIY-job for me.

klaus

The 101 deg pulley is the one that will give you more power.
The 190 ECU willonly attempt to sort out the lean mixture yoyu have and advance the ignition in zone rev zones.
If you install the 190 ECU without the pulley you will use sligthly more fuel and no more power.
If you put the pulley without the ECU the engine will rev more freely and faster, no more torque but faster overall, but the engine needs to be well warmed (becasue it’s running leaner).

I know this because this is what I’m running now (until I fit the Emerald ECU)

Uldis

Hello

that means, a little bit more fuel will be used but the engine will not get damaged. I think that the car would have also more power with only the 190 ecu because the current ecu runs on the lean side to reach the emission regs.
But in the next weeks I want anyway to install the pulley and so the problems will be solved.

klaus

So I have yesterday spoken with the dealer and he told me that I must change the camshaft maybe to get the full performance of the 190 ECU. But I think and have read that the new timing of the camshaft with the new pulley must be enough. Has somebody other experiences??

klaus

Your dealer is wrong - but maybe vernier pulleys and a corect timing of the installed cams is the best way - and not by a dealer