Exige Clutch Problems

Has anyone experienced Clutch disengagement problems? This happened to me very suddenly with no warning. I have checked all hydraulics and have found no faults. I have re-bled the whole system but the fault still exists.

Take a look at the bracket - see if all the bolts are still there -

Doh !!What I mean is look at the clutch slave cylinder bracket - Rox had a bolt missing from that bracket which led to this problem

Thanks to Steve, Martin & Andy for helping me out.JohnI was having problems selecting gears and as Andy mentions the problem was that the clutch slave cylinder was moving (instead of operating the clutch) because a bolt had gone missing from the bracket which holds it to the gearbox.Get someone to depresss the clutch while you watch the slave cylinder and make sure its not moving around.Let us know how you get on

Thanks very much for your reply. Sorry I have been so long acknowledging this but I have been on holiday. I have checked all the bolts as you suggested and also re-bled the clutch but still don’t have enough clearance. I think the problem must be in the clutch area itself, which is bad for 5k miles. quote:Originally posted by AndyD:Take a look at the bracket - see if all the bolts are still there -

There are one or two threads on here where a hairline cracked appeared on the slave cylinder, not enough for the fuild to leak but enough to draw air back into the system.Have someone press the clutch pedal whilst you measure the movement of the clutch release arm, obviously keep doing it to see if the movement reduces.Another alternative is that the clutch release bearing has collasped (another common failure) - does it make a grinding noise ?

Definitely no fault at the clutch slave cylinder or at the mounting bracket. Have also rebled the clutch. I have also extended the rod going into the slave cylinder just to see if I could get the clutch to clear but that didn’t help either. Strangely enough this fault only occured after a 40 mile trip and after parking the car for 30 minutes. After starting the car I then found it would not engage a gear. There is no noise whatsoever from the clutch bell housing area when the clutch is depressed which I find strange if it were a clutch release bearing problem. Thanks for your reply and I look forward to any other information. quote:Originally posted by Trudy Davies:There are one or two threads on here where a hairline cracked appeared on the slave cylinder, not enough for the fuild to leak but enough to draw air back into the system.Have someone press the clutch pedal whilst you measure the movement of the clutch release arm, obviously keep doing it to see if the movement reduces.Another alternative is that the clutch release bearing has collasped (another common failure) - does it make a grinding noise ?