Exige availability? Newbie Post

Hello everyone, this is my first post, and it is a simple question.

What is the availablity of the Exige, in the U.S. market?
The Elise is starting to become available now, and I will soon be moving back to California where there is a Lotus dealer about 30 minutes away. So… I find this pretty exciting. Still, the Exige is the one for me.
Any chances? Thanks…

Martin

Sadly it’s not really good news for you. This has been tackled a few times and I can’t quite remember the outcomes, none overly successful. I seem to remember there’s at least one that was threatened to be crushed if it wasn’t thrown out of the country.

Try a search on ‘federal’, ‘import’, ‘states’, etc. That may turn the posts up.

I don’t think there’s plans to officially import the S2 Exige to the States, although I’d have thought the new Fed Elise would be a good start for you.

BUT congrats on discovering one of the world’s greatest cars!

Ian

I think they’ll struggle getting the Exige over there as well, they had to apply for at least 30 billion exemptions and complain about how skint they were and generally throw lots of toys out of lots of prams to get the 111R over there… You know, no bumpers and something about mangling peds…

The bumper thing is just totally surreal to me, the idea to keep low speed impacts cheap to fix but all moden cars crumple quicker than a bunch of boy scouts dropped into Iraq

Thanks guys. Somewhat discouraging, but I don’t give up easily. How about cutting a deal for one in the UK and shipping it over to the US—or if that doesn’t work, to Canada? It’s a lovely drive across to Niagara Falls, NY!
I’m hoping there must be a work-around, as I’ve seen the most strange vehicles licensed here in the states.
Any suggestions?

And if that isn’t possible and I succumb to a new U.S. “Elise”… How about creating an Exige out of the stock Elise? Wing, suspension? I am ignorant of the differences really… help please?

Martin
PS - I lust for an Exige…but presently am placated by terrorizing Hummers, White Pickup Trucks, and SUVs with my Mini Cooper “S”. What is it with “WTS” (white truck syndrome) anyway?

i heard a rumor that you had to import it as a kit car… so car and engine seperate… and then put it together in usa to register it as a kit car, would also give a good chance to re-power it, perhaps honda? have head pretty good things on the honda through this forum.

My 2 cents

And if that isn’t possible and I succumb to a new U.S. “Elise”… How about creating an Exige out of the stock Elise? Wing, suspension? I am ignorant of the differences really… help please?

I’d guess you’re better off going that route.
At the end of the day, the differences are suspension (which I understand is an option anyway), wheels (option again), front splitter (bolt-on) and wing, which you would have to adapt another, as the newer one is smaller and not really effective.
Engine is the same, and it woul dhandle pretty much the same.

Now, for the original-shaped one, I would say you’d have to either buy an existing, registered one in the US orr… admire it for eternity.

Nah, you could move over here as well!

At the end of the day, the differences are suspension (which I understand is an option anyway), wheels (option again), front splitter (bolt-on) and wing, which you would have to adapt another, as the newer one is smaller and not really effective.

This is quite encouraging actually. So I order the Elise, with the sport/race suspension, and then from the factory I order the front air/dam splitter, wing and wheels.
Will the Lotus factory accommodate going in this direction?
That would work for me if Lotus does let individual parts out.

Thanks again!
Oh, and regarding moving over to the UK—don’t think I haven’t been scouting the planet for somewhere civilized to live. Especially after the last election. How could 51% of any population be so F&$#ing ignorant…sorry…

But the rear clam is different as it has a ‘fastback’. Because of that I also understand the Exige’s body is made differently. But I think Uldis is basically right, if you took an Elise, did the suspension, put on the front splitter and an aftermarket spolier at the back to give similar downforce to the Exige dynamically you’d pretty much have the same car.

Ian