engine rebuild

hey fellas, just got word its the big end bearings that haave gone on the car, thats 3 weeks without it so far and driven once!!
obviously once fixed i will need too gently run the rebuilt engine in again but how often do these cars need engine rebuilds? i have discovered that my car used to be a track day slut with many a visit under its belt so im not surprised the engine is duff but i do not want this to be a common thing! any mods i could do to enhance engine life?
i do not track the car

If it’s just being a road car from now on (absolute sacroledge you know! These cars are track sluts, and love it hard and dirty! LOL!) then the engine should be good as long as you let it warm up properly before giving it any berries (like any engine), and keep the oil pretty fresh and everythying serviced…

There’s a few on here with 40k plus miles and mines on about 35k now so they can hold together OK…

ha ha, i just have really bad luck with cars, if i so much as look at it the engine blows up! so i treat my cars very very carefully!!

You’re not coming to croft are you?

If so stay away from my car… And no, I’m not going to give you any Px laps

alas i will not be there but i have satelitte linkup and will bbe looking at your car from afar! if i go down im taking all you with me! muhahahahahahaah

Oh no!!! His sig is true!!! NEXT TIME GADGET! NEXT TIME!

pmsl

How can two men from opposite ends of the country be so in tune!

Ian

Must be the fact half of my blood is jock

If you’re rebuilding your engine, I would recommend having the bottom end balanced while you’re at it.

How much are they charging you for the rebuild ?

Sorry to hear your bad luck… seems like the previous owner may have knowingly sold you something duff… bummer

How can two men from opposite ends of the country be so in tune!

Ian

because we have youth on our side old timer!!
dives for cover

dont know how much they will be charging, though when they do it will be like a wounded bull no doubt! It depends on the total parts cost. Er… plus i keep feeding them parts and bits that i tend to keep buying while the car is with them for fitment and yes, i am very sure he did know tut tut

because we have youth on our side old timer!!
dives for cover

Oi!

I might have spent too much of my youth on here, but I’m the right side of 35 AND I’ve owned an Exige for over 3 years!

Wanna talk insurance quotes laddy, huh?!

Ian

im 22 but - its insured under work policy as… Company Car
mwuhhahahaha
Still takes all my wages though

Had you considered cutting your losses on a K-series, and changing it to say an Audi or Honda engine (or even a Duratec) for not much ���

just got word today that i will have the car back next friday. The main problem was oil starvation from too much track use. Big ends were shot as were piston rings. Rebuild will cost �2400 which is not as bad as i was expecting yet still far from pleasant! Oh well, any ideas how i should run the engine in appropriately? (not by going to croft before anyone says it )

oh yeah, heres my updated spec for the car:

2001 S1 Lotus Exige
Factory 190 upgrade
Pagid RS14’s
Uprated Discs
Braided Hoses
Uprated fluid
Yoko AO48’s
Eliseparts exhaust
Decat
Adjustable engine mount
Eliseparts quickshift + uprated linkage kit
New stainless mesh grilles
Blacked out headlamp covers
Eliseparts anti-squeal brake kit
Lotus Sport racing gearknob
Carbon fibre stone guards
Race graphics

Carbon fibre stone guards

What are they?

Had you considered cutting your losses on a K-series, and changing it to say an Audi or Honda engine (or even a Duratec) for not much ���

Am I hearing right??? Admin advising somebody to buy a HONDA . Must be going soft .

the stone guards are the black plastic bits in front of the rear arches. Got a set of e-bay in real carbon, quite nice