engine noise

how much noise should the engine make? listened to a 190 and it sounded very tappity is this the norm ? -

Yep - especially when cold. Noise should lessen considerably once the engine/oil has reached normal running temp.

You’ll also find that the gearbox is quite noisy, particularly on the overun in 5th - again nothing to worry about.

many thanx for you quick reply -mind at rest now!

The noise is not tappets, since I have been told that the Exige does not have them - Dave Andrews calls it ‘piston slap’…

Once it warms up it goes away - no worries

The noise is not tappets, since I have been told that the Exige does not have them

True, but the equivalent lifters for the valves can require re-shimming after 10k miles - depending on use. From memory, I got mine done at about 16k miles, cos I thought said noise was a bit excessive compared to when the car was new.

We’ll have to compare “rattly” engine noises, when we meet up at Donny on the 24th Sept

The VHPD has solid lifters rather than hydraulic.

Its true that hydraulic lifters can sometimes take time to “pump up” and rattle, but solid lifters are shimmed and just as Pesky said can require adjustment as they get bashed up - that depends on the cam profiles etc -

My head has just been sorted by Dave A and that included new 1227’s, steel caps and solid lifters, all shimmed by the expert, and it still sounds the same when cold started…

As Pesky says - lets compare sounds at Donington :