Engine mount

Just looking at the alternatives:-

Does anyone know how much the eliseparts aluminium engine mount weighs?

Any other thoughts on this?

according to the website its half the weight and saves about 2kg’s hardly seems worth it at �200

if you’re looking at spending some money why don’t you buy a carbon motorsport roof and engine cover, I’ll be happy to take your money from you

Hi

I’ve developed one that weighs 1.3 kg. As used by Steve Butts in hill climb car. If you are interested look up Auto-Teknix and send me a mail.

Bernard

How much do the std. items weigh ?

Just weighed it. A standard one is 3.5kg so Bernards must a similar weight to the eliseparts which claims a 2.2kg saving.

Any thoughts about the rigidity, vibration transfer and longevity of the lighter mounts?

Ive got the Elise parts on on my car. Access to the alternator and stuff is greatly improved. The rubber bush has been replaced (free of charge) on mine as it split after a couple of months. Its a good quality item, I must admit and I am happy with it.

The rubber bush has been replaced (free of charge) on mine as it split after a couple of months. Its a good quality item

Sean - struggling to reconcile these two sentences

according to the website its half the weight and saves about 2kg’s hardly seems worth it at �200

It’s not the weight that’s the major concern it’s the strength and rigidity, but if weight can be shed in the process, great.

I doubt that I’m telling anyone anything new here but the forces going through the mounts are not only substantial at times (the engine torque generated has to be resisted somewhere) but also vary greatly when on and off the power and it’s this cyclic stress of load reversals that can kill them off relatively quickly. You only have look at SeanBs mounting bush to realise how much is going on there, probably not helped greatly by the extra rapid changes from the sequential 'box hey Sean

I seem to remember that the lower sump to subframe engine mount was inadequate as standard too?

Cheers for the input guys, I was just thinking out loud after looking closely at the standard mount earlier today.

You only have look at SeanBs mounting bush to realise how much is going on there

Have you had a private audience

I seem to remember that the lower sump to subframe engine mount was inadequate as standard too?

That’s the one that would split and most people got it welded up either after or even before it went. I think there was a revised stronger mount for the MGFs?

Not sure I understand the reason for changing it…other than money burning a hole in your pocket!

The rubber bush has been replaced (free of charge) on mine as it split after a couple of months. Its a good quality item

Sean - struggling to reconcile these two sentences

Yeah sorry. I do think the mount is a ggod quality item, the two ally parts are excelently made in my opinion. Yes the rubber did split, but I am hoping that was a one off. If it goes again, I am going to have a bush turned from a plyable nylon material I have used for bushes before. It will be a lot stiffer and will transmit loads more noise and vibration, but the engine wont move a bit.

I also forgot to mention, one of the reasons for my buying this mounting in the first place, was the Quaife box is longer and sits only about an inch from the chassis. With the standard mount under hard cornering the gearbox would hit the chassis. That has never happened since having the Elise parts mount.

Not sure I understand the reason for changing it…other than money burning a hole in your pocket!

The standard mount does locate the engine very well laterally. Steve says that he can feel the difference with my mount.

I’ve attached a pic. http://www.auto-teknix.co.uk/pics/R0010212s.JPG

Bernard

Looks very well made Bernard

How much?

Looks very well made Bernard

How much?

Thank you. It’s going to around the �190 mark but no VAT to add.

Bernard

Yeah I agree, that looks great!!!