Engine Cover delaminating

Hi guys - I am considering buying an Exige, but a quick question to ask the collective please as I cant find much in the archives

The Exige I am looking at has some delamination on the engine cover - the black stuff is coming away from the perspex engine cover in a couple of places. Is this a common problem and is there anyway of fixing it?.

Thanks very much.

Godspeed

The Exige I am looking at has some delamination on the engine cover - the black stuff is coming away from the perspex engine cover in a couple of places. Is this a common problem and is there anyway of fixing it?.

There are some posts about it.

I think it’s becoming more common and I’m not aware of a fix, other than a rather expensive replacement. You can always replace it with a motorsport cover, that is a rather nice body colour panel with large slits in it.

Your choice of an Exige is an excellent one!

Ian

My engine cover is well delaminated - like all of it.

Basically the applied “blackout” is coming away from the polycarbonate. There is no way to repair it - lotus acknowledged this (eventually) when I complained about it.

They did offer 30% off a new one, but 70% of 1200 quid is still too much …

I have a second hand one now with no delamination, but they are somewhat like hens teeth, although some people have a spare having changed to a motorsport version ( 3-400 quid plus paint plus “fixing” kit from Eliseparts )

Kelevedon Lotus have some SH ones but also want 60% of new value - I think one was for sale recently on this site ?

Anyhow - knock about 500-700 off the price

Hi Godspeed, yeh mine has the dreaded delam problem too. However, it’s not really a problem 'cos it’s behind me and I can’t see it . In true Lotus fashion I think I’ll wait 'till it comes apart and deal with it then!..Don’t let it put you off buying one

Thanks guys - my mind is at rest now - I guess as the cars get older it will become more common…