emerald tweeking advice

Hi all, recently fitted a VHPD into an S1 elise, and am running it on the Ex1.fig map, the map seems to work well in just about all circumstances except very light throttle low speed trundling.

around 1600-1800 rpm in 3rd or 4th, I’m getting really nasty kangarooing. Is kangarooing a symptom of rich or lean running? this unhappily equates to around 30mph with my standard ratio box.

am I likely to be able to sort this with ecu tweeks, or is it typical behaviour of the VHPD at low revs.

Cheers

Joff

p.s. completely different question, I’m running it in at the moment, it’s got all new bearings, liners, and pistons rings, is running in really necessary?

Running in IS necessary to bed tyhe parts in otherwise you get things like blowby occuring.
Also, it will be the Emerald map causing the kangarooing… it can be tweaked.

Hi Joff,

Im going thru the same question in my mind. As i have done the same conversion.

Did you get it sorted?

And can you send me a copy of your map?

cheers

Tim

What oil are you using to run it in with matey? You should use some really low grade cheap mineral oil, and change it afetr 500 miles.

I’ve got exactly the same problem with my current map !!

Did you manage to sort it ?

Hi!

I got it sorted now with a new map from Dave Andrews. PM if you want a copy to tryout…

Cheers

Tim

Tim, is that the same one youve already sent me ? If not, can I have that one as well please ?

Hi mate!

It is the same.

Did you try it out?

Cheers

Tim

What oil are you using to run it in with matey? You should use some really low grade cheap mineral oil, and change it afetr 500 miles.

Interesting Sean ?
Not questioning your advice … only interested upon the reasons ?

I,m always learnin…

Interesting Sean ?
Not questioning your advice … only interested upon the reasons ?

I,m always learnin…

For the "running in " period only, mate.

Yeah, only use the cheapo running in oil for the first 500 miles while you are running in. You want things to bed in during this period, main, big end and little end bearings and the piston rings to the bores. During this period the last thing you need is some super duper synthetic oil that will reduce the internal friction to nothing and cote everything in super slipery aditives.

Your bearings and rings and stuff will have very small high spots and it is these that we are getting rid of during the running in period, so the more friction the better really.

Sean…

and it is these that we are getting rid of during the running in period, so the more friction the better really.

Sean…

Thank you oh wise master…what should we do when we have eliminates our small high spots?

Colin Chapman himself used to put half a can of Brasso into gearboxes and rear axles that needed to be run in quickly e.g. just prior to a race weekend. This ‘knocked off the high spots’ but did nothing for longevity.

Another major part of running-in is the heat cycles the items are put through before they assume a final stable position and shape. Running in by driving down a motorway ay constant speed for 500 miles will achieve little. Doing the same distance at a variety of speeds and therefore engine loads and temperature is a more effective process.

When BMW were building 1.5l turbocharged F1 engines they only used cylinder blocks which had done > 100k miles. These had been through so many heat cycles that they were deemed completely stable and therefore entirely predictable in their behaviour.

Thank you oh wise master…what should we do when we have eliminates our small high spots?

Well firstly we should take some writing and grammer lessons!!!

Well firstly we should take some writing and grammer lessons!!!

And spoelling