Eliseparts S1 Roof Scoop.

Has anyone bought one of Geary’s Roof Scoops and if so, is it a good fit!

Does it look okay left black or should it be sprayed the same colour as the car, and can it be ‘glued’ in place rather than having to drill holes in the body work.

Finally, does it work?

Mark A has one.

Have a look on the website…doesn’t appear to fit well at the back and overhangs at the front. I believe it can be smoothed in but then that’s a repaint job, etc…

[image]http://www.eliseparts.com/shop/images/large/Exige-roof-scoop_LRG.jpg[/image]

Ive got one but had Plans Motorsport body shop blend it in with the roof rather than just use studs… cost a bit more like but personally I prefer the finish…

M

Have a look on the website…doesn’t appear to fit well at the back and overhangs at the front. I believe it can be smoothed in but then that’s a repaint job, etc…

[image]> http://www.eliseparts.com/shop/images/large/Exige-roof-scoop_LRG.jpg> [/image]

GOD THAT LOOKS BAD

I have one. I used Sikaflex and there’s no way it’s budging, so no need for rivets/bolts.

It does “extend” forward of the roof, but that’s because it has a lip which hooks under the leading edge of the roof.

Mine took a bit of hacking about to get it to fit, but looks pretty neat.

I could have sent it to a bodyshop for a 100% smooth over, but couldn’t justify it.

Fortunately, being a black car, it doesn’t look as bad as it does on that red car

[image]PICMAN.co.uk ::

Will see if I can get a closer pic

To each his own, but apart from the fitting issues discussed, I think it has the wrong shape.
The curve doesn’t flow from the rear to the front. It’s kind of flat in the middel IYSWIM.

Personally I don’t think it looks right.

And then the functionality. It is meant to pick up air at a higher pressure at the edge of the screen. I hope you guys have increased the hole size on the original intake and sealed all edges, otherwise it’s not doing anything else than increasing drag.

I hope you’re using the extra airflow for something as well, like direct to engine air intake, the extra engine efficiency would counter the extra drag…

[image]> http://www.eliseparts.com/shop/images/large/Exige-roof-scoop_LRG.jpg> [/image]

GOD THAT LOOKS BAD

This picture on Geary’s website isnt really a very good advert for the roof scoop!

Does Lotus Motorsport sell a better fitting one?

Russ is getting a motorsport roof of mine soon with built in extended scoop

I fitted one of Geary’s scoops and yes it does take a fair amount of fettling to get it to fit properly, notthat it doesn’t fit you just have to spend some time blending it in. I think this is always the case with moulded parts. I ended up not being happy, and made up a new mould and had the part made up in carbon which gave me an exact fit at the back. [image]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f107/exige297/RoofScoop2.jpg[/image]

The scoop does look quite good when some time is spent forming it before fitting, and contrary to what some people have said I have noticed good improvements in cooling, provided you have no huge gaps where the air can escape. What I wouldlike to do with the replacement scoop, I have sold this one, is to remove the edges and have them fold inwards for mounting.

I hope you guys have increased the hole size on the original intake and sealed all edges, otherwise it’s not doing anything else than increasing drag.

Yep, the leading edge of the original scoop has been cut away. And also where the air flows into the engine bay has been cut out significantly.

Would there be extra drag ? Not sure… given the airflow is now free-er than the original design.

I’ve not run any special ducting down to the engine/turbo yet, but Mike Lane has.

Took a quick snap of mine, needs a jolly good clean !

[image]http://www.exiges.com/gallery/scoop.jpg[/image]

From what I can see, it follows the roofline fine, and doesn’t look to bad (IMO)

Ive got one but had Plans Motorsport body shop blend it in with the roof rather than just use studs… cost a bit more like but personally I prefer the finish…

M

It does look good.

Ian

So in reality there is quite a bit of additional work required to make this fit and also to make it actually do something.

Its not really a a quick bolt on accessory.

Can anyone do any better? I really would like a roof scoop and side intake scoops. Eliseparts have stopped doing the side bits in plastic and only provide them in EXPENSIVE carbon fibre. Not necessary if you intend to paint them the same as the body colour.

if any one can host the pics - I can send piccies of mine to see …

m

So in reality there is quite a bit of additional work required to make this fit and also to make it actually do something.

It depends what roof scoop you currently have, I believe it’s made to mate with the Motorsport scoop… so if you have an Exige scoop it’ll need some modification. (or could be the other way around, check with Geary)

But it took me an hour or so of cutting/filing to get it right… but then I’m crap at DIY jobs.

Send the pics to [email protected] and I’ll host them

Can anyone do any better?

Take your scoop and your car to your local body shop and they’ll blend it in + paint it. It all depends on how fussy you are.

will send piccies on tonight… however what I was told was that it was cheaper to get the work done by body shop using Elise parts piece than to buy a motorsport roof and fit and that quite often the motorsport roof had seal issues and prone to leaks when it rains hard . That why I paid my monies to get it done this way - each to their own taste and budget

M