Eibach Springs

Where can I buy, and what specifications do I ask for?
Consensus seems to be 325/400lbs for road and track use.
Not sure if need to ask for progressive or if the open length matters too much. Anything else to consider?
The existing springs have 50mm internal diameter, fronts are 170mm long, rear 210mm.

Adam

You have to be careful and find out what your Racing Dynamics have been valved for… Uldis/MarkA can help better here but the spring rates should be matched to the damping of the shocker…

What’s up with the spring rates you have ?

That’s what I need to understand, how to specify them, how could I check the valving?
I’d assumed that the adjustments for damping and rebound would allow a range of spring rates to be controlled.
Anyway, after posting I spoke to Rob Hodgson at Eibach, he’s involved with Lotus racing and development.
More questions, but he thinks a progressive spring plus a tender spring would work best. I have to send the springs for him to carry out a static test, also various measurements-loaded and unloaded lengths, damper travel(open to closed). It would also give more options if the spring platforms were 60mm and not 2". I just asked Dynamics if this was possible.
Eibach suggested �82.00 per corner but expect something special ie very little role plus initial compliance, want to have max traction when climbing curbs or for standing starts. The car roles around like a 2CV at the moment, practically destroyed the wheel arch liners on my first trackday.
Of course an alternative might be an experienced exiger with some springs laying in the corner of a workshop!!! They need to be for 2" id, fronts are 6.75" long, rear are 8.25". Looking for rates above 400lb, probably 425lb and 500lb.

I’d suggest that 400/500 is an absolute minimum for track work. I’m planning on moving to 450/550 for road/track as my 400/500 setup gets a bit rolly polly still. If you can get a rising rate setup to work then you would be onto a good thing although it may take some development time.

Adam

sounds to me like you are talking to the right people, however can’t you find out what the standard fitted springs are (rate wise)… also i’d think Racing Dynamics would be able to tell you what range of springs work with the model of damper you have.

The damping and rebound settings you have will probably work with a range of springs but i wouldn’t have thought the range was very big.

If you want to do more research yourself why not google around a bit ?

let us know what you find out as i’d be really interested in anything you learn.

Do they have to be Eibach springs?

Have you considered experimenting with the anti-roll bar? It’s worth remembering that the roll stiffness of any car should be mostly gained at the non-driven end.

No, not considered others just yet, what alternatives are about? Eibach are less than 1/2hr from me so comfortable if any probs to get support quickly.
I agree about the anti-roll bar, but think that should be for fine tuning, it also pitches more than I want under braking and acceleration, so hope to help here as well.

No, not considered others just yet, what alternatives are about? Eibach are less than 1/2hr from me so comfortable if any probs to get support quickly.
I agree about the anti-roll bar, but think that should be for fine tuning, it also pitches more than I want under braking and acceleration, so hope to help here as well.

Stick with Eibach springs… most others are tat.

I’d have to agree with Randy that there is a whole lot of poor quality stuff out there. I do know of at least one good source but I just had a quick look and they don’t seem to do 50mm ID

That’s what I need to understand, how to specify them, how could I check the valving?
I’d assumed that the adjustments for damping and rebound would allow a range of spring rates to be controlled.
Anyway, after posting I spoke to Rob Hodgson at Eibach, he’s involved with Lotus racing and development.
More questions, but he thinks a progressive spring plus a tender spring would work best. I have to send the springs for him to carry out a static test, also various measurements-loaded and unloaded lengths, damper travel(open to closed). It would also give more options if the spring platforms were 60mm and not 2". I just asked Dynamics if this was possible.
Eibach suggested �82.00 per corner but expect something special ie very little role plus initial compliance, want to have max traction when climbing curbs or for standing starts. The car roles around like a 2CV at the moment, practically destroyed the wheel arch liners on my first trackday.
Of course an alternative might be an experienced exiger with some springs laying in the corner of a workshop!!! They need to be for 2" id, fronts are 6.75" long, rear are 8.25". Looking for rates above 400lb, probably 425lb and 500lb.

Adam, as Rox says, you seem to be talking with the right people.
I’m sure they will take into consideration the current spring rates, and probably put the existing dampers in the (shock) dyno.
The existing valving can take care of a little harder or softer springs, but outside of a small range the valving would be out of range. shocks would need to be revalved.

What dampers are they? I’m sure you can send them to their head office and they would revalve them for the spring rates you choose.

What dampers are they? I’m sure you can send them to their head office and they would revalve them for the spring rates you choose.

Uldis

they are Racing Dynamics dampers

OK, after a lot of emails and questions to Eibach and Dynamics I finally ordered some springs from Kelvedon Lotus. I couldn’t get Eibach or Dynamics to agree on the 2" id springs needed for the dampers. Anyway I’ve settled for 7" long 2" id 350lbs for the front, and 8" long 2" id 400lbs for the rear. Should have them delivered and fitted in 1-2 weeks, ready for Rockingham possibly, then Croft.

Adam,

The Dynamics dealer in the USA, Carl Haas, had recommended 2in by 7in springs as well. This was back in June of 2002. I figured you’d feel more comfortable knowing a completely different source purchased the same as you.

Beto, thanks. That does inspire a little confidence.
Springs now fitted just waiting for the Salty roads to clear to see what it’s like.
Adam