Duratec 2.3 ?

What about a duratec 2.3 conversion in Elise/Exige ? Any experiences ? Thanks

Why go that route when you could have a nice Audi or Honda power plant!

Because of the weight. The duratec is much lighter than Honda or Audi. Moreover it use the standart Lotus gearbox and there’s no problem with the driveshafts(honda…)

Frank, from my own experiance and thinking that weight in the back is the be all and end all of which engine to choose. Please, please, please go and drive and audi and an SC Honda before making your final decision.

I drove a well sorted SC Honda (AndyD’s car) at Oulton Park and it handled very very well indeed and didn’t feel ‘heavy’ in the back at all. My Audi handles as well as my K series car did and has more traction than any of us can fathom.

Plus with a bit of thought about where to put things the weight doesn’t go up to much. My car is about 25kg’s heavier than when it had a K in the back, but the front to rear weight distribution is EXACTLY the same, so the balance is still there. In the end I didn’t have to worry to much about the weight as it had to get heavier to fit in with the LOT regs for class C.

I have changed the springs, had my dampers revalved and changed my ARB and with only three outings the car is feeling great.

By the way I am in no way dissing the Duratec, its an awesome engine IMO, but just don’t rule out the others based a percieved weight disadvantage.

Ok Sean thanks for your answer.
Last year i had a JDMHonda Elise and i was not very happy with the weight distribution… it is why i look the duratec. Moreover the duratec is not expensive, very easy to upgrade, and very reliable.
But at this moment i don’t know exactly what will be my choice…i am waiting to go to Donington and see duratec cars and honda cars !

I should be on track on the 29th at Donnington, so feel free to come and have a go in mine aswell.

For sure sean i will come to see your car ! Thank you very much for your offer. Wich one will it be ? the red one or the silver ?

I only have the red one, it was painted black last year and silver the year before and it was Orange the year before that. lol.

ok for the red one…what will be the colour next year ?

You will also be able to recognise Sean’s car at Donington because it is the only one that automatically becomes an open top on the back straight!!!

You will also be able to recognise Sean’s car at Donington because it is the only one that automatically becomes an open top on the back straight!!!

LOL

I never used mine on track with the K in it but with the S/C Honda in there didnt seem any problems at all with the balance of the car.

DOH!!!

lol

The roof is now very firmly attached to the roll cage, so fingers crossed everything stays put from now on!!!

Did anyone get any pics of that by the way, I’m sure I saw people taking pictures, but I never saw anything posted up.

Sean…

[quoteDid anyone get any pics of that by the way, I’m sure I saw people taking pictures, but I never saw anything posted up.

Sean… [/quote]

People are obviously far too defferential to you Sean…

Sean i am very impatient to see your car at Donington. It will really help me to make my decision