dry sump

is a dry sump on a K series worth it?

has anyone had problems on track with oil surge using a std sump?

Drew

Not needed. However, if you’re running on slicks, it may be a good idea to get a baffled sump & steel oil pump shaft - QED sell them.

steel oil pump shaft - QED sell them.

understand about the baffles…but what’s the significance of the steel shaft - what’s the standard one made of?

Steve

Perhaps I should have said pump/drive-gears, sorry.

See Here

But if you balance the engine properly you probably dont need one

Dry sump in theory is a nice to have but there is a lot of extra weight involved with the pumps, tank and of course the extra oil.

You mean Simon can balance oil as well

[color:“white”] Just dont go there !! [/color]

LOL!

but there is a lot of extra weight involved with the pumps, tank and of course the extra oil.

yeah ive seen those pumps and the are suprisingly heavy.

extra oil in a tank, any good for moving forward a bit to help weight balance / front grip?

Drew

Pesky thanks for the explanation & link - did you have the gears done on your engine? If so what was the cost?

LOL… i’m getting the hang of this now…

Steve

Yep, baffled sump & “gears” were done on my engine - plus the oil pump was machined to give max flow.

Don’t know the individual prices of the above, they were just an element of the work carried out when the engine was “refreshed”.

I think Guy Evans car may have a dry sump… ???

Guy - you out there ??

Well, it was one of the options that Simon was mentioning (as he’s going for one on his own car), but it’s expensive and the only benefit is about 10 BHP more, as it reduces the oil drag within the engine.
The best benefit is on cars that have a problem with oil surge, but this is not the case on the K, so no dry sump for me.

Dry sump made no difference on Steve B’s car and it was a real PITA to fit without leaking.

and all the extra weight must slow things down a bit…

There you go, even more reason not to.