Donington show - Too many modifications!!!!!!

Hi All,

I don’t want to cause offence to anyone (everyone to their own, and all that) but I was devastated to see so many trashy cars at the Lotus show. By trash I mean messed about with, abused, to much shiny stuff etc…

And there I was 2 weeks ago trying to justify fitting a shift light, wondering if it could be seen as tacky by fellow Lotus owners. After going to the show I�d doubt if anyone would bat an eye lid if I had a strip of LEDs flashing on my quarter panels when I had to change gear!

Lotus believe that if it doesn’t make a car faster on a track, then it doesn’t go on the car, so how does an LCD flat screen display and Play Station 2 make an Esprit go faster???

How does putting round rear lights and a high level brake light on an Elan make it go quicker?? or improve it’s looks for that matter???

I bought some brake pads from Elise Parts and the guy said can I interest you in any shiny stuff, pointing to a counter full of carbon fiber, aluminum and LEDs. I just said NO Thanks, I was disgusted.

It’s a Lotus show, not a MAX Power show!!!

Just because someone has made a new Gear knob, or a diffuser with LEDs on it, doesn’t mean you HAVE to buy it and stick it on your car. Save all your money and do a track day instead!

Sorry if I have offended you.

John.

Ah, but think of the market that buys an Elise… it’s your I.T. geek type… and that type of person likes nothing better than to fiddle with things… and putting an anodised tax disc holder, chrome window winders, carbon fibre centre console is manna from heaven for them !

Lotus believe that if it doesn’t make a car faster on a track, then it doesn’t go on the car…

Ahhh, they were the days.

Ian

So they’ve started Max Powering the Lotii as well?

But don’t worry, that doesn’t happen over here at Exiges.com.
Form Follows Function, and most modifications are aimed to make it go faster/better.

We are the hardcore types, you know? just look at the threads that talk about the new S2 Exige.

What is waiting for us ahead? Max powered, cruising, slammed with pneumatic suspesion Elises? ((well the Germans have already fitted 19" by about 12"wheels to the Exige…

Hardcore we are. You’ll find us at the tracks.

Well of course it has to be a case of you pays your money.

I do agree that an awful lot of this stuff seems to have a lot in common with christmas tree decorations.

But on the other hand, everyone’s idea of what makes a Lotus look good is different.

Which surely accounts for a lot of the interest in events like Donnington.

I have an admission - I bought a set of dem lotus logo’d dust caps but am sooo pleased that someone showed me the error of my ways by relieving me of them in Sheffield 2 days later

Barstewards

‘Disgusted’ at being offered shiny parts ? Hmmm. If I paid �7.50 to get into a show and all I saw were boggo standard cars similar to the one I own, and some chap standing there saying “We have no shiny bits or mods. Go buy a trackday instead”, then I’d be disgusted.

The average Elise/Exige is very far from standard. Most have alloy winders, clear front indicators, headlamp covers etc. They don’t make it go faster no, but most have them. Infact… Exiges have a bit of ‘tat’ as standard do they not? I can arrange for those to be removed from your car for a small fee if you’d prefer.

The average show go-er wants to come away with something fun. Most won’t splash out on a Honda conversion or a set of carbon seats & harnesses, so that leaves a cat replacement pipe, some clear indicators, perhaps some mats, a new tax disc holder, a fire extinguisher or even some carbon bits for the interior. Some people enjoy making their car nicer to be in, or look better. Why clean it otherwise?

I have to ask… why did you buy your Exige over say a Sport 190? Performance? Nope. Price? Nope. Has to be looks really doesn’t it?

However, on the Eliseparts stand there were some nice bits you might have liked. Carbon seats, lighter brakes, lightweight fueltank, harnesses, Nitron shocks, Emerald ECU etc. Not exactly Max Power-esque.

Now, my car is far from a garage queen max muppet mobile, but it’s far from standard. Ford Duratec powered, Nitrons, Pagids, light brakes, harnesses, carpets, soundproofing, twin headlamp conversion, driving lamps (not standard on mine, but standard on the exige!), upgraded stereo etc etc etc. I do a lot of miles in my car so I’ve modded it the way I like it.

Surprised at the anti-mod attitude. If you just want something fast, why do you have an Exige and not an R500/Radical/Sport 190 ?

Just my 0.02

‘Disgusted’ at being offered shiny parts ? Hmmm. If I paid �7.50 to get into a show and all I saw were boggo standard cars similar to the one I own, and some chap standing there saying “We have no shiny bits or mods. Go buy a trackday instead”, then I’d be disgusted.

I guess that’s the rub though… It wasn’t a car show, it was an array of trade stands… so if all that’s there is traders… then all you’ll see is things you can tack(y) onto your car.

I guess the reason that the Elise lends itself to add-ons is that the car is built from add-ons from other cars in the first place !

You make a good point Brian, but I guess we would like to see some sort of a limit.

I would dread to see an Elise with neon everywhere, 19" wheels, huge ICE (just because of the 20-30 Kg extra, I like good sound), fake NOS botttles , and some other non-fuctional modifications.
After all, the mods you describe above are functional and logic…

Uldis, bearing in mind that S1 Elise’s are now available well under �9k that dreaded day isn’t as far off IMHO

Ah, but think of the market that buys an Elise… it’s your I.T. geek type… and that type of person likes nothing better than to fiddle with things… and putting an anodised tax disc holder, chrome window winders, carbon fibre centre console is manna from heaven for them !

Sounds exactly like Pesky@s car!!! He even has extra plastic in the shape of V.V.

Go figure???

The modifications you mentioned Brian are spot on, I�m talking about the LCD displays, NOS, Neon lights and Play Station 2s.

I’d have liked to have paid 7.50 and seen more classic Lotus cars and lovely original examples of old and new cars and lots of memorabilia (which there was). Not a load of Lotus’ been turned into boy racer cars, many of them would have looked at home on a McDonalds car park next to Modified Fiesta’s, Nissan Micras and RS turbos, Fully loaded ready to MAX!!

Like I said before, everyone to their own, but I was disappointed to see so many horrendous things done to beautiful cars.

I’m a big fan of the Goodwood Festival of Speed, if you turned up in a tacky modified Lotus they would chase you with pitch forks, no tack, just history, motorsport and heroes. I guess we have to accept that there are two types of Lotus owners today, those that take films like ‘Fast and Furious’ seriously and those that find them hilarious :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

Sounds exactly like Pesky@s car!!! He even has extra plastic in the shape of V.V.

ROFLAO